SyncBack V9, landing 1st June 2019
New modern user interface, better performance, delta-copy, supports more cloud services, improved FTP and a whole lot more...
Every window has been updated to use a modern and clean interface. Font sizes have been increased. All the graphics have been changed. A dark mode is now included. The interface is now fully DPI scalable, with per-monitor support.
Faster, Better, More
We've added support for more cloud services and improved support for the existing ones. There are now three FTP and SFTP engines, for ultimate compatibility. Performance has been improved with parallel file uploads and downloads to many of the cloud services.
Probably the most requested feature has now been added. You can now copy and store just the changes to files. SyncBack Touch (for Windows) has also been updated to allow delta-copy over the network, so the destination file is a complete file.
We've modernized the interface. All of it.
For the first time, the entire SyncBack user interface has been updated. Every. Single. Window. All the graphics have been modernized. The log file has been improved. The default font size has been increased and now the interface scales smoothly with DPI changes, even on different monitors.
Did we also mention it's faster. A lot faster.
On cloud services such as S3 and Azure, SyncBackPro can now upload and download multiple files at the same time. This greatly improves performance. We're already working on adding this feature to FTP/SFTP and to SyncBack Touch. Multi-zip file copying is also faster as files can now be compressed in parallel.
Delta-Copy. You asked for it, you got it.
With huge files, like Virtual Machines and databases, you may want to save storage space by just copying and storing the changes and not the entire file. SyncBackSE and SyncBackPro now support delta-copy via the existing versioning feature. We've also added delta-copy to SyncBack Touch, where only the changes are transmitted over the network, and the entire file is rebuilt on the other end.
Even more cloud support
We've added support for OVH, Egnyte, hubiC and WebDAV. The existing support for Azure, S3, Google Storage, Dropbox and Backblaze B2 has been improved. SyncBack can now use Bing Speech, so you can have SyncBack talk to you in your native language.
We've added two new FTP/FTPS engines and a new SFTP engine. This gives you the ultimate in compatibility when you need to use a remote FTP or SFTP server. To improve file scanning performance, we worked with the creators of CompleteFTP to be able to scan an entire folder tree in one FTP call.
More to come...
We're already working to add parallel file upload/download, and delta-copy, to the cloud and FTP. This will be a free upgrade for V9 users. As always, we make constant improvements to our software over it's lifetime.
If you have any questions, hopefully our FAQ below can answer them.
- User Interface
- Completely new modern and clean user interface with an optional dark mode. All the graphics have been changed. Care has been taken to simplify and modernize the interface but keeping it familiar to users of older versions.
- Per-monitor DPI scaling, so windows are scaled depending on the monitor they are on
- The default font is now larger, and the same font as used in Windows 10 (Segoe UI 10 point)
- The log file has been modernized and improved to make them clearer. The HTML log file now includes embedded graphics. More summary detail also provided. It also now shows the total time a profile was paused.
- In the Tree Explorer window, you can now include/exclude files/folders without needing to first expand the folder
- In the Tree Explorer window, you can now include/exclude files/folders and apply to all sub-folders
- The File & Folder Selection window, Differences window and File Prompt window now shows the source on the left when the profile is a backup/mirror from FTP, cloud, etc. to a local drive
- New simplified Restore wizard. Includes option not to move files on restore and other options.
- In the main window you can filter based on the profile name
- In File & Folder selections, you can export and import the selections
- When profiles finish, SyncBack can now automatically exit, reboot or logout instead of just shutting down
- The File & Folder selections window now has last modified column
- Non-critical errors have been removed and are now warnings
- You can now list all the shared settings, which profiles are using them (if any) and delete the unused ones
- You can now skip a SyncBack new version. For example, if you are on v9.0 and v9.1 is available then you can ignore the new version. If a version is ignored, you will not be prompted again until a newer version, e.g. V9.2, is available. However, if you do a manual update check then it will always tell you a newer version is available.
- Delta-copy versioning when copying files from one file system to another. Only the changes between files are stored, which greatly reduces disk space for large files such as virtual machines, databases, etc.
- OVH cloud support added
- hubiC cloud support added
- WebDAV support added
- Egnyte support added
- Uses new Azure REST API, so can upload larger files (4.75 TB)
- Supports restoring files archived in Azure
- S3 Storage Class and new Azure Blob Tier. Previously could only set S3 Storage class, but now can do it with Azure.
- Supports One Zone-Infrequent Access and Intelligent Tiering storage classes on Amazon S3
- Can now use Service Account Private Key files with Google Storage
- Dropbox API updated
- Backblaze B2 API updated
- Can use Bing speech, so native language speech supported
- Two new FTP/FTPS engines and one new SFTP engine added for improved FTP server compatibility
- Supports new faster scanning method in CompleteFTP (requires V12.1.0 or newer)
- FTP support improved (MFF, RMDA and AVBL supported). Tested again with FTP servers to improve performance and compatibility.
- FTP time zone setting improved (if you use ! as first character then it overrides what the FTP server reports, e.g. !-480)
- Can restore from multi-zip files copied from an FTP server to a local drive
- SyncBack Touch
- Delta-copy (over the network) upload and download to Touch (Windows only)
- Can shutdown remote Touch server (Android only, must be V1.3.11 or newer of Touch)
- Better user feedback when searching for SyncBack Touch devices
- SyncBack Monitor
- A new Android application which you can use to stop, start, pause and resume profiles running on your computer (on the same local network)
- Parallel file multi-zip (when copying to or from internal/external drive, network share, etc.)
- Parallel local file deletes (internal/external drive, network share, etc.)
- Parallel cloud file uploads and downloads: S3, Azure, Egnyte, Backblaze B2, Rackspace/OpenStack and Google Storage (if using private key)
- Profile backups are now much faster
- In a profile schedule you can now view/set run time limit
- In a profile schedule you can now decide what to do if scheduled task is already running
- When creating new schedules, the default is not to run the schedule again if it is already running. In V8 it would run it in parallel, which can cause issues as the same profile cannot be run in parallel.
- Files the user does not have read access rights to can now be copied to the cloud, FTP, FTPS, SFTP, Touch and MTP. Also, files copied from the cloud can replace local files the user does not have write access rights to.
- SMART checks also check the drive health. Extra detailed information about the drive is logged.
- Option to skip temporary files (enabled by default)
- Can choose to version deleted and replaced files, only replaced files or only deleted files
- Now works with Sandboxie
- The Zip option "Try and compress files that are being used" has been replaced by the Copy/Delete option "When copying files, stop other processes from modifying them during the copy". This is TRUE by default. It applies to any local copy, i.e. Zip, Cloud, MTP and Touch.
- When using SecureZip, can add files with filename lengths over 260 characters. The maximum filename length of the Zip file itself is still limited to 260 characters.
- When a profile is queued, the visual group it is in (if it is in one) is now used. This helps with profile variables, for example.
- To reduce complexity, improve performance, and reduce memory usage, a number of legacy features have been removed from V9:
- SyncBack Containers: Mounting of VHD virtual drives is still supported (Windows 7 and later). A SyncBack Container mount utility is provided to transfer files from existing SyncBack Containers.
- Backup to email: Backup of email is still available. Backup, via an email server, was introduced before cloud storage services were available.
- CD/DVD burning and ISO support: You can use VHD instead of ISO.
- Spanned Zip file support: Split Zip files are still supported. Spanning was for removable media.
- Windows Server 2003 is no longer officially supported.
Frequently Asked Questions
Upgrade Assurance is a yearly subscription that lets you upgrade to the next major release without paying an upgrade fee. You also receive priority technical support. You can buy Upgrade Assurance when you purchase SyncBackPro or SyncBackSE or when you pay for an upgrade from an earlier version. You can also purchase Upgrade Assurance up to 1 month after purchasing a new version or an upgrade. If you have a free upgrade from V8 then you have until 1st July 2019 to buy Upgrade Assurance.
To check if you can purchase Upgrade Assurance, enter your serial number in our upgrade store.
When users purchase a license of our software, they also enjoy ongoing support of the software through our support site, hundreds of updated articles, a free and open forum, and support ticketing.
• Version 9 has many new features not found in previous versions. Take a look at the changes that users have enjoyed over the years.
• We continue to invest thousands of man hours actively developing and supporting our software with additional features, updates, and fixes.
• We pay for powerful new components that extend the program.
• We pay for additional services every month. These services support our software users.
No, your license for SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE is indefinite and you do not have to upgrade.
Note that you will be able to download and try SyncBackPro V9 or SyncBackSE V9 and roll back to using your old version if you're not completely happy.