Cannot copy file (5): Access is denied on certain files

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE/Lite.
davidb

Cannot copy file (5): Access is denied on certain files

Postby davidb » Thu Jan 24, 2013 4:06 pm

I have been happily using SB for years, but recently have been having a problem.

I always get a message: "Failed to copy from Source : Safe copy failed. Failed to rename temp file: Cannot copy file (5): Access is denied" for a dozen or so files. They aren't anything unusual, like system files or anything, just regular MS Office documents, etc.

I am backing up to an external hard drive via USB2.

I updated to v6, but get the exact same results.

As an experiment I backed up the entire folder to another folder on the computer HD, instead of the external, and it worked perfectly.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,

David

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Cannot copy file (5): Access is denied on certain files

Postby Dave Wilkins » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:14 pm

At a guess, your AV is examining them. Or, something about the Permissions on the files or the folder (which isn't the case in the test folder, so that suggests the folder itself: so why doesn't it therefore affect all files?)

AV-examination usually gets the error 'file in use', but not always - depends on the type of lock whatever it is uses. Try turning off Safe Copy (on Copy/Delete > Advanced > 'Make safe copies...').

Or, it could be firmware on the drive itself (some do). I'd suspect that if it has any 'security' aspect such as password protection.

Otherwise, I'm out of ideas. 'Access Denied' is a Windows error (error #5, as shown) whereby Windows reports that the user you are running SE/Pro 'as' does not have the permissions (etc) to perform something the profile is set to do. Windows tells SE/Pro, SE/Pro quotes that back to you

We have a Knowledge Base article on 'Access Denied'

http://www.2brightsparks.com/help/index ... rticle=205

but aside from that cannot offer bespoke / one-to-one support in solving Access Denied errors: it's difficult enough when you can see the various 'opposing' settings, impossible when you cannot...

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Dave Wilkins » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:18 pm

PS: note that 'Failed to copy from Source' only indicates the direction of the attempted action (as opposed to 'Failed to copy from Destination'...). Your problem is on the Destination, during the attempted rename of the SafeCopy temp file to the target file name. Could also be properties of the older (about-to-be-replaced) copies of the files denying us access to overwrite them (whereas a test copy to a blank location has no such older copies to overwrite, or object...)

LesC

Postby LesC » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:53 pm

I'd been using SB for ages without problems but recently upgraded from XP to Win7 and updated SB to latest version and started having same problems but only to ne of my two external drives - I back up twice.

However, found the casue of my rpoblem at least - if you go in to your Ext hard drive's Properties>Security, I found the drive that worked had everything ticked under 'Everyone' wheras the one that had the problems had only 'Special permissions' ticked for 'Everyone'. Changed that the 'allow all' & bingo - now all OK.

Why the ext drives were set up different I don't know - both are same make - WD - but slightly different models.

mrodent
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby mrodent » Sun Mar 12, 2017 6:15 pm

Similar workaround for me: there were 6 "groups" in the Security tab for the USB drive. 4 of these groups had "full control". Even after reformatting W10 wouldn't let me change the security settings for the other 2 groups.

Two possible solutions:

1) delete the 2 groups without full control.

2) switch to Linux and never, ever, ever, ever again have to struggle against defective amateurish proprietary software.

Like many, I suspect, the 2nd option is not currently possible for all my systems, for various app-related reasons.

Return to “SyncBackFree (freeware)”