Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Starting sync when device is discovered on the network

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
roni1

Starting sync when device is discovered on the network

Post by roni1 »

Hey!

I was wondering if there is a way to start syncing automatically once a device is discovered on a local network path (laptop connects to Wi-Fi)?

Cheers,
Roni
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Starting sync when device is discovered on the network

Post by mmullins_98 »

I would suggest initiating the sync on the device that connects. If the device connects upon booting then you might run syncback in a startup script on the device after some delay.
roni1

Post by roni1 »

Clarifying: the device is a MacBook Pro, the objective is to back it up every time I get home and connect to my Wi-Fi Network.

Source is the Mac on the network [\\MacBook-Pro\Macintosh HD\Users\] Destination is My Windows PC with SPB installed.
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Are you using SyncBackPro with SyncBack Touch to backup files from Mac to Windows PC?

If yes, there is an option in SyncBack Touch to run a profile automatically when the device running SyncBack Touch is found on the local network, which can be enabled from: Modify profile > Expert > SyncBack Touch > tick the option 'Run this profile when SyncBack Touch starts on the device'.

For this option to work, SyncBackPro sends a broadcast on the UDP port 24671 to discover the Touch installations. If the device is found on your local network then the profile runs automatically. In addition, SyncBack Touch uses TCP port 8080 for all communication with SyncBackPro. Therefore, you need to ensure that the ports 8080 and 24671 are not blocked by your firewall.

Thank you.
JimBo

Post by JimBo »

I am using SyncBackPro but am not using SyncBack Touch. I have a similar need as stated above to start SyncBack when my laptop is docked at home versus at work. I have a portable hard drive plugged into my home docking station that I'd like SyncBack to find and backup to late at night when I'm home. Since I don't have SyncBack Touch is there an easy way to do this?

Thanks.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

Maybe I'm missing something but it just sounds like you should set a schedule to start at what ever time you see as late.