Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if it is freeware or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need lots of information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Copy symbolic links as-is from/to NTFS

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
fxshpac

Copy symbolic links as-is from/to NTFS

Post by fxshpac » Sat Oct 24, 2015 3:10 pm

Dear support,

I just started evaluating the latest pro version and ran into this issue. For testing purpose, I create two folders, say A and B, on the same NTFS partition. Then I configured a profile that mirrors from A to B.

Under Folder A, I have following structure:

\Share
test.txt
\User
Share (symlink pointing to ..\Share)

I suppose after mirroring Folder B will have the exact same structure but instead it looked like this:

\Share
test.txt
\User
Share (not symlink any more, a regular folder now)
test.txt

In case you ask, following are the options I'm currently set for the profile that are I believe relevant.

[x] Copy symbolic links as-is instead of copying the file the link points to
[ ] Ignore NTFS junction points (reparse points)

Please let me know what I have done incorrectly or there is anything else you want to know before you can draw any conclusion.

Thanks

Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Copy symbolic links as-is from/to NTFS

Post by Conrad Chung » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 am

that option "Copy symbolic links as-is..." under Copy/Delete > Advanced only applies to symbolic link files; not symbolic link folders. This is stated in the description section of this option within the Help file:
If enabled, and a symbolic link file is being copied, then instead of copying the file the link points to it copies the link.
For symbolic link folders, TBOMK, there is no option within SyncBack to copy symb link folders as-is, but instead it will copy the folder the link is pointed to.

des421
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by des421 » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:28 pm

Bear with me here please, with an example...

On my Windows 7 installations there's the Documents folder, and there's the My Documents (symbolic link or junction point?) for backward compatibility I assume. I haven't checked the "Copy symbolic links as is..." option. And copies (clones) have grown in size approximately by the size of Documents (i.e. there could be 2 of everything)? I'd wondered about this, but was too lazy to explore it. From Conrad's answer (no handling of Folder Symbolic Links), would checking the Copy symbolic links as-is... option avoid duplicate copies of the Documents "files" (if that's even what's occurring)? Or since SBP can't handle symbolic links of Folder's is this academic do you think? We're talking about the possible duplication of over 3 GB here!

Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Conrad Chung » Mon Oct 26, 2015 4:59 am

des421 wrote:Bear with me here please, with an example...

On my Windows 7 installations there's the Documents folder, and there's the My Documents (symbolic link or junction point?) for backward compatibility I assume. I haven't checked the "Copy symbolic links as is..." option. And copies (clones) have grown in size approximately by the size of Documents (i.e. there could be 2 of everything)? I'd wondered about this, but was too lazy to explore it. From Conrad's answer (no handling of Folder Symbolic Links), would checking the Copy symbolic links as-is... option avoid duplicate copies of the Documents "files" (if that's even what's occurring)? Or since SBP can't handle symbolic links of Folder's is this academic do you think? We're talking about the possible duplication of over 3 GB here!

Just to clarify, are you saying you configured a SyncBack profile to backup your Documents folder twice? The correct path for the Documents folder under Windows Vista and/or later OS is:

C:\Users\(User_Name)\Documents

Simply point your profile's Source folder path to this path or "C:\Users\(User_Name)\" and select Documents folder (including other important sub-folders like Music, Pictures, etc) from the Choose sub-directories and files button under Simple settings page.

If you have selected both Documents and My Documents folder for backup, you need to uncheck one of them, if you are sure the data within them are duplicates.

des421
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by des421 » Mon Oct 26, 2015 6:48 pm

Lets see if I can possibly clarify? In copying and updating an entire drive (clone), under Users/{me}/ is Documents (as you noted (which may be shown by Explorer as My Documents), and there's a hidden "My Documents" folder, which is what, a symbolic link or junction point? Pointing to the actual Documents, for backward comparability when addressing "My Documents" in a path. If it's a symbolic link, and the option to treat symbolic links as-is isn't checked, then it's treated as a normal folder resulting in "2" copies of everything in Documents? I'm just asking, not telling, but have reason to suspect this is the case!

Then enters the complication "Copy symbolic 'files' as-is..." not applying to Folders? If so then there's nothing to be about this?

If this isn't clear enough? How can I/we refer this to Conrad without starting another thread?

DES