Cannot copy file (59): An unexpected network error occurred

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE/Lite.
gabberwotchit

Cannot copy file (59): An unexpected network error occurred

Postby gabberwotchit » Thu Oct 15, 2015 3:23 pm

I am getting loads of the following error message when backing up my PC (Windows 8.1 64 bit) to FreeNAS:
"Cannot copy file (59): An unexpected network error occurred"

How can I find out how to fix this?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Cannot copy file (59): An unexpected network error occurred

Postby cliffhanger » Thu Oct 15, 2015 4:57 pm

You have a system (i.e. network) error. Or so Windows is telling SB (that '59' is a Windows error number, and the text that follows it is the Windows error text, as quoted in that MS article). SB is simply quoting what Windows told it for your info. Nothing SB can do about the error itself (it can't argue with Windows).

Unfortunately, like many Windows errors, it's annoyingly vague. It's also not one I've encountered personally, so you may need to Google for suggestions, employ lots of trial and error, etc, unless anyone else reading this has experience of it (and solved it). But you could do worse than cold-reset all the items involved (PC, NAS and any router/hub), swap out cables, etc. It's also not unknown for items (network cards/chips, etc) to lock up (etc) due to heat stress with the constant throughout of a large backup job, while copying the occasional file or two works fine. This does not mean it is the fault of the backup software, but possibly the failure of (some part of) the system to support sustained traffic. If you're using a laptop (thus, difficult to swap out the network adapter...) you could try swapping out (i.e. borrowing, etc) another PC and check if it can copy a lot of stuff to the NAS OK (or, consider getting one of those USB<>LAN adapters for the laptop and trying that instead)

PS: be very wary of any Google hits that claim to cure this by downloading their 'fix-it' software, especially if the same site repeatedly crops up when Googling various different Windows error numbers ('windows error nn', etc) - and/or, hits that appear in Google as 'ads'...

gabberwotchit

Postby gabberwotchit » Fri Oct 16, 2015 6:05 am

Thanks for the quick reply. I agree that Windows error messages, including this one, are annoyingly vague. I have tried "trial & error" and nothing has worked so far. I have already rebooted and upgraded the NAS software. Although I haven't yet tried swapping out cables. Backups to this NAS used to work and they still work to my other 2 NAS devices (Buffalo LinkStations). I am not trying to blame SB, just trying to find a solution. Indeed I also get errors when copying files with Windows explorer ("Error: 0x8007003B: An unexpected network error occurred"). I have searched but haven't found anything useful yet. I'm not using a laptop BTW. I'll try doing a reset and swapping out cables later on and feedback then.

gabberwotchit

Postby gabberwotchit » Fri Oct 16, 2015 3:48 pm

Swapping patch cables and doing a cold-reset on the switch has not made any difference :cry:

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Sat Oct 17, 2015 2:29 pm

If traffic is (still?) fine between that PC and the other 2 NAS boxes, that tends to rule out problems with that PC, the router/switch and the cables. Only other thing I'd mention is to test-swap the actual/physical LAN port leading to the FreeNAS (i.e. use another free one, or 'borrow' a socket from a known-working device).

But (assuming that doesn't help either) then - as you've probably figured out - it strongly suggests the issue is with the FreeNAS itself. Could be hardware, could be soft/firmware (for example, LAN drivers) or just incorrect or unstable configuration. (The fact you get the same errors direct in Windows suggests there is nothing you could re-configure in SB that would make a difference - it's likely 'deeper' than that).

You may get more success (more specific hits) Googling for the error message text and the search term 'FreeNAS'. And/or, by posting directly in the FreeNAS forum.

gabberwotchit

Postby gabberwotchit » Sun Oct 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Traffic is still fine to the other NAS boxes. I am backing up to one now and it's been going for 4 hours with no errors.

When I swapped the patch cable I plugged the new one into a different port on the switch.

I will post on the FreeNAS forum now and thanks for your help.

Return to “SyncBackFree (freeware)”