Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Build 20150+ hangs SyncBackPro 8

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Build 20150+ hangs SyncBackPro 8

Post by rseiler »

Are you aware that in Build 20150 (and now 20152) SyncBackPro 8.9.15.0 no longer runs? It's quite strange: makes it into memory, but no UI, and you have to end it via Task Manager. Nothing in Event Viewer about it.

Clearly something has changed in this next-gen version of Windows slated for release next year. It's currently in Insider testing.

Any workarounds?

All previous builds before 20150 presented no problem.
TedM

Re: Build 20150+ hangs SyncBackPro 8

Post by TedM »

I have the same problem, on two computers.
Had to revert to Windows build 19645.
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by rseiler »

Thanks for confirming. What on earth could this be? I tried setting its compatibility to Windows 8 (it's been a long time since I've had to consider such a thing for any program), but it had no effect.

I get the feeling that there should be a workaround for SyncBack given that I'm not aware of any other program with an issue. SyncBack Free works. Haven't test Pro v9.
TedM

Post by TedM »

I tried all the Compatibility options also.
Really like Version 8.9.15.0 of SyncBackPro.

Forgot whether I tried Run As Administrator, or not.
Just had to revert to 19645 and changed from Fast Ring to Slow Ring (now Beta Ring).
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by rseiler »

Does it normally not run as administrator? When I run it, it triggers UAC, but I checked its file properties and I do not have its "Run this program as administrator" selected. I don't run it manually enough to recall if this is normal or not. So, I have no way of not running it as administrator, I guess.
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by rseiler »

It also happens in v9, as mentioned over in TenForums.com:

"I just noticed this morning when checking how my daily backup went just to find out that it did not run.
Trying to run it manually the software backup SyncBack Pro V.9.3.30 won't run on this build, Macrium does.
So, to make sure it wasn't a problem related to one computer I check and run it on all computers and on none of them it worked properly.
To bad I may have to go back to the previous build because this backup it's important to me."

So, the question now becomes: what is it about Pro? Free is fine.
tramp20
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by tramp20 »

TedM wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:29 pm
I have the same problem, on two computers.
Had to revert to Windows build 19645.
The same problem here :-(
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by rseiler »

It even occurs with a portable v9 (latest) in the most pristine environment possible: Windows Sandbox.

This is some kind of low-level problem. It's just surprising, since this tends to happen only with programs that rely on system drivers.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Hi, the issue is with 64-bit versions of SyncBack (SE and Pro) on the pre-release version of Windows. There is no problem with 32-bit versions of SyncBack or 64-bit versions of SyncBack on official release versions of Windows. It is being caused by the crash reporting component and we are in contact with the developers of it. Unfortunately there is no setting to disable this component as it's an integral part of SyncBack. Hopefully Microsoft will fix this soon. Keep in mind that it is pre-release Windows, so bugs are not uncommon and are expected. Thanks

Edit: Microsoft may already know about the issue and are going to fix it:
Starting with the last build, some games and applications may crash at launch or fail to install. We’ve identified the root cause and are working on a fix for a future flight.
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by rseiler »

Thanks for the context of the problem (32-bit vs 64-bit never occurred to me, though it probably should have since the Free version is 32-bit).

I had read the release notes earlier but somehow missed that line.
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by rseiler »

mickyj wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:29 am
It is being caused by the crash reporting component and we are in contact with the developers of it.
Does that happen to be BugSplat? I see no evidence that's what you use, but I'm trying to troubleshoot why Sketchup also doesn't work, though in its case it actually records an application error. It uses BugSplat.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

rseiler wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:52 pm
Does that happen to be BugSplat? I see no evidence that's what you use, but I'm trying to troubleshoot why Sketchup also doesn't work, though in its case it actually records an application error. It uses BugSplat.
It's madExcept.
rseiler
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by rseiler »

FYI everyone, MS did get this fixed in 20161.
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Yes, it looks like it's now fixed. Thanks