Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Feature request: "safe delete" in mirror type profiles

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
jlmontero

Feature request: "safe delete" in mirror type profiles

Post by jlmontero »

Hi!

I use Syncback for many years to "mirror" some local backups to an external FTP, but I must use another backup software to do those first backups because it has something I need, and Syncback can't do.

I always do mirror backups, so if source gets damaged I can recover an exact copy of it... but at the same time I need to be sure that if a file is accidentally deleted from source, mirror job doesn't just delete destination file, but "move" it to somewhere else. In other backup software this feature is called "safe erase": you just set a path, and mirror task moves source deleted files to that path (keeping relative path). I then just need to have a look to that path from time to time, and definitelly delete those correctly deleted files.

Do you think this is something feasible? I would do it inside "Decision - files" section, as a new option in the combo "what to do if a file is on Destination but not in Source"... and let the user set a path to move those "Source deleted" files.

bye!
jlmontero

Re: Feature request: "safe detele" in mirror type profiles

Post by jlmontero »

I did a typo in subject... Hope some admin can correct it... I can't find an "edit" option...
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Feature request: "safe delete" in mirror type profiles

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I corrected the type error in the subject.

Versioning feature in SyncBackPro/SE, creates version of a file before a file on the Destination is replaced, deleted or moved and store the version files in a hidden $SBV$ folder within the scope of the profile's Destination. So if you want to recover deleted files then you can easily restore/rollback your files from version files. Read this article for the procedure to restore/rollback files:
https://www.2brightsparks.com/resources ... sions.html

I suggest reading the Help file for more details about versioning. With Versioning settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help for more details.

If you do not own a copy of SyncBackPro/SE and wish to test it's functions, you are welcome to try our fully functional SyncBack, which we offer a free 30-day evaluation.

https://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/so ... _Setup.exe
https://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/so ... _Setup.exe

If you do decide to purchase, the serial number will convert the 'trial' to the 'registered' version.

Thank you.
jlmontero

Post by jlmontero »

That's a possibility. I'll take a look at it, to see if it suit my needs.

Thanks a lot!
jlmontero

Post by jlmontero »

Good! I managed to do something very similar to that "safe delete" feature with versioning... adding all the power of SyncBack itself.

Thanks a lot again.