Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Copy Hidden Attribute NTFS->NTFS?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
metal450
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Copy Hidden Attribute NTFS->NTFS?

Post by metal450 »

I'm sure there's a simple option somewhere, but I've looked high and low and can't seem to find it: when using SyncBack to mirror from one local disk to another (i.e. NTFS to NTFS), how can I make it preserve the "Hidden" attribute? I keep ending up with files that were (intended to be) hidden on the source, but get backed up as not-hidden?

Thanks in advance :)
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Copy Hidden Attribute NTFS->NTFS?

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

SyncBack (by default) copies hidden attribute from NTFS to NTFS. Please export and send your profile to [email protected] for investigation (select the profile > right click > choose Export Profile from pop-up menu).

Thank you.
metal450
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by metal450 »

When you say "by default," does that mean there is an option somewhere that I might have at some point accidentally disabled? Could you pls point me to where in the options?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

There is an option to ignore hidden files (but not hidden attribute), which is under:
Modify profile > Expert > Compare Options > Attributes settings page

As requested, please send your profile to [email protected] to investigate on the problem. Do not post (nor links to) profiles on this open forum.

Thank you.
metal450
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by metal450 »

Hi,

Thanks for the quick replies. Unfortunately SyncBack is being used on an airgapped work machine, & policy prohibits sending out non-audited binary files like that :/

However, I should revise my description slightly: it looks like the hidden attribute that's not getting copied is on *folders,* rather than files. i.e. the hidden folders (and their all contents) are being mirrored, but where the folders are hidden on the source, they're visible on the destination. Does that by chance change things at all?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

There is a non-default option under: Modify profile > Expert mode > Copy/Delete > Folders > 'Copy sub-directory attributes and creation date (only when new directories are created)', which when enabled copies sub-directory attributes (and creation date/time stamps) from source to destination.

However, this option must be in force before/at the time the new folder was created on destination, but it can't update the sub-directory attributes for already copied folders.

Please read the help file for more details. With Copy/Delete settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

Thank you.
metal450
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by metal450 »

Perfect! That must be the one I was looking for - thanks :D
Rocchio

Post by Rocchio »

So this option doesn't affect anything retroactively?
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Yes, that's right.