Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Escaping a character in a folder name

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
vivadavid

Escaping a character in a folder name

Post by vivadavid »

Hello,

In the 'Files/Folder NOT to copy' section of a profile, I have added two paths containing folders with square brackets as part of their names, but I have realised that these square brackets are taken, instead, as wildcards:

\[YO]\varios\
\amigos & familia\[[OTROS]\[[[DESCARTADOS]\

As as result, SyncBack tries to copy these two folders to destination, so the exceptions aren't taken into account.

Since renaming these folders isn't an option, and after doing some research, I've learnt about "escaping" a character, and so I've typed a backtick before each square bracket (unsuccessfully):

\`[YO`]\varios\
\amigos & familia\`[`[OTROS`]\`[`[`[DESCARTADOS`]\

I've tried to use other characters (/, \, //, ^) and I have also used simple and double quotations before and after each square bracket, but nothing has worked.

I'm stuck now, and since I couldn't find a similar issue in the forum, I decided to write this thread hoping somebody can give me a hand.

Thank you in advance.
vivadavid

Re: Escaping a character in a folder name

Post by vivadavid »

Hello, again,

My message didn’t get a reply, and so I don’t know if there’s somebody interested in the issue, but I eventually found a solution.

For every opening square bracket, you must add another opening square bracket at the front and a closing square bracket at the back, so that [ becomes [[].

You only do that with opening square brackets: closing square brackets remain unaltered.

As a result, my two original rules turn into these:

\[[]YO]\varios\
\amigos & familia\[[][[]OTROS]\[[][[][[]DESCARTADOS]\

My tests indicate that this solution works at least on current version 9.1.12.0.

I hope this saves time to somebody who encounters the same problem in the future.