Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

The number of files and folders backed up when I Mirror my hard drive don't match the source.

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

The number of files and folders backed up when I Mirror my hard drive don't match the source.

Post by markfleener »

The number of files and folders backed up when I Mirror my hard drive don't match the source. The two hard drives should be identical, but they're not.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: The number of files and folders backed up when I Mirror my hard drive don't match the source.

Post by mmullins_98 »

I had a similar problem when the source files didn't have the permissions to share. This was on my local network. No errors were reported.
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: The number of files and folders backed up when I Mirror my hard drive don't match the source.

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

If there is a difference in file/folder count on source and destination, then most likely it is due to the default filter settings in the Change Filter settings page, Compare Options settings page or Advanced settings page configured in your profile.

Note there is an option in SyncBackPro/SE to log the reason why a file/folder is ignored/skipped under:
Modify > Expert > Log > "Log the reason why files/folders on Source/Destination are ignored/skipped"

If you enable the options and run the profile then SyncBack should show you the reason for skipping or ignoring a file in the 'Ignored Reason' section of the log file. However, those options are not available in SyncBackFree. So, if you do not own a copy of SyncBackPro/SE and wish to test its functions, you are welcome to try our fully functional SyncBackPro/SE, which we offer a free 30-day evaluation.

https://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/so ... _Setup.exe

https://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/so ... _Setup.exe

If you do decide to purchase, the serial number will convert the 'trial' to the 'registered' version.

Thank you.
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

OMG PLEASE HELP...

After trying to figure out exactly what's going on, I've come to realize that there are jpg files inside of folders that can't be seen. I'm not sure if jpg files are the only type of files with such an issue (gosh I really hope so). Yes, I am showing hidden files/folder/drives, they're not hidden, but I still can't see them when I go into the folder. For instance, even thought hidden files/folder/drives are set to be shown, I will only actually see 16 flac files inside a folder, while the properties of the folder will say that there are 21 files in there.

When I go to SyncBack, "modify" the profile, then click on "choose sub-directories and files", the files I can't otherwise see can then be seen in the list. I include them in the mirroring, running the profile, and the destination's properties end up showing that the unseen files have been copied over, but ultimately, they're still unseen. You follow so far?

Anyhow, if before running through the profile, that is, before actually clicking on "continue run", I sift through the files it wants to copy over, I am able to right-click the file and select "open". The file opens up with my jpg viewer and I'm then able to "save it as", finally making it a file that can be seen. When I try to click and drag the file over into the folder where the unseen version of it is located, it then says that there's already a file with that name in there. I replace it and it can then be seen.

I can't be bothered with going through such a process to be able to make the files seen. There's just way too many folders (not to mention, files) in which this could be going on and trying to narrow it down like this is just unrealistic. I'd hate to set the filter to delete all jpg files (that is possible, right?). Is there some way to make such unseen files show themselves without having to go through such a process, manually working each one individually?

What other forums could I ask such a question? I realize this might not really be an issue with SyncBack itself, although, it sure helped me realize what was going on.
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

I figured it out. I needed to "unhide protected system files", not just show hidden files/folders/drives. I find it weird that jpg files are somehow considered system files. Anybody know what that's all about?
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

And I've figure out the rest still...

Open cmd by pressing Windows key and R, then press Shift/Control/Enter so it runs as the administrator.

Then, to change drives (because I want to be on the D drive), type...

D:

Then, to change directory (because I want to apply the changes to a specific directory and its subfolders/files, type...

cd D:\BACK-UP\From Music\MUSIC

Then type...

attrib *.* -h -s /s /d

That will make everything withing that folder (including subfolders) not hidden and not operating system files. I'm not really sure, but I think *.* mean "everything". -h means you're deactivating the hidden stuff. -s means you're deactivating the operating system stuff. /s means that it should apply to the subfolders. not sure what /d is, but anyhow, it worked. I applied the same changed to the other drive that I'm backing up to (E), then ran the SyncBack profile, and now, the folders properties match exactly. I did go ahead and deleted a couple desktop.ini files too (searched the directory for any files by that name so I could then delete them).
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

But now I'm really confused, showing that there's likely something to Swapna's answer that I really don't understand. I've applied the changes I came up with to yet another folder (and subfolders/files), the VIDEOS folder. I ran the SyncBack profile to mirror the D drive to the E drive, but I've found a file that's not the same size on both drives. Everything else about them seems to be identical, from what I can see, the one on the source is a little smaller than the one on the destination. Why would this be?
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

Sorry about all the duplicate posts. I thought I was editing posts instead of making new ones. It's late. I've been up way too long.
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

This issue has been continued in the following link...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13956&p=52001#p52001

Don't mind the guy who says these are not SyncBack questions. This may technically be an issue with Windows, but it definitely applies to SyncBack because it prevents SyncBack from creating identical copies of files.