Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SyncBack Pro: Enabling Versioning on Existing Profiles

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
sway2011

SyncBack Pro: Enabling Versioning on Existing Profiles

Post by sway2011 »

Hi everyone,
I currently have SyncBackPro V8.5.60.0 installed on a Windows Server 2012 R2 box. I have multiple profiles set up which are part of a profile group. All profiles are Mirrors. The source is the server itself (i.e. D\Accounting) and the destination is a QNAP NAS box. Currently none of the profiles have versioning enabled. I would like to enable versioning on all of the profiles but I wanted to make sure this is OK to do. I've recently run into a serious issue with another backup product on a different box when trying to enable versioning on an existing backup plan (it caused the software to consume all available RAM, crashing the server). Is this something that is OK to do in SB Pro? To be safe I could always completely delete the backup data set on the destination and perform a "full" mirror after enabling versioning.

One last point of clarification: The multiple profiles I have set up each represent a directory on the source server (i.e. D:\Accounting, D:\Public, etc). Each profile mirrors data to its respective folder on the destination NAS (i.e. 172.21.51.60\Accounting, 172.21.51.60\Public, etc). I combined these into a profile group which is set to run daily. My end goal is to enable versioning on all profiles.
I look forward to hearing everyone's thoughts!
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: SyncBack Pro: Enabling Versioning on Existing Profiles

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

SyncBack (by default) uses last modification date/time stamps and file sizes to detect the differences on source and destination, and copy new or changed files from source to destination (without overwriting unchanged files). And a version file is created before a file on Destination is replaced, deleted or moved (and store version files in a hidden $SBV$ folder). It does not create versions of unchanged files or for new files that are copied to your Destination (or files that are changed before enabling Versioning option).

Therefore, if the last modification date/time stamps and/or sizes on source and destination does not match then SyncBack may propose to recopy all files again and create version files. So, I suggest running the profile in simulated mode (ctrl + S) and check the Differences Window for the list of files/folders proposed for copying (or deleting) before the actual run.

Thank you
sway2011

Re: SyncBack Pro: Enabling Versioning on Existing Profiles

Post by sway2011 »

Thank you very much! I honestly didn't even think to run the simulated mode to test the changes. I will do a simulated run over the weekend.
Thanks again for your quick reply and help.