Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Change multiple profiles at once in v6

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
ACM

Change multiple profiles at once in v6

Post by ACM »

Hi,
we are running a profilegroup with about 50 different locations, so different profiles. But now we want to switch all this stuff to a different location.

To make it clear here's an example:
Current: Source -> target: \\server01\data\onefolder -> \\server01\differentdata\onefolder
Planned: Source -> target: \\new_server\data\onefolder -> \\new_server\differentdata\onefolder

Is there a way to do this without touching all profiles by hand?

I've had look in the exported sps file, but unfortunately this is not a textfile. So search nd replace will probably not work.

Thanks in advance,
Michael

BTW: Thank you for such a stable piece of software - this is running for years without any issues :)
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Change multiple profiles at once in v6

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Sorry, not supported.

Thank you
mcarroll

Post by mcarroll »

Hello,

Just a suggestion or idea; but since you have an older version of SyncBack Pro... The costs & licensing issues are something you'd have to work out some type of deal with 2BrightSparks but since you have 50 locations; why not see if you can upgrade the Syncback Pro to the current version, purchase the SyncBack Management and purchase a software maintenance agreement.

This will accomplish a couple of things; when you upgrade SyncBack you'll have the latest version and features, should you need to make a change like this in the future; you'll be able to do this via the SyncBack Management console and with a software maintenance agreement; you'll be able to stay up to date on the software. It'll take some legwork & cost initially but I'd think in the long-term it would benefit both parties.

The one real feature that I hope SyncBack Pro would come out with is Delta copying / partial file updating. This would be especially helpful with Outlook updates... Otherwise, I love their software. Been waiting too long for this feature in my opinion though.
ACM

Post by ACM »

Hi,
Swapna wrote:
Thu Feb 07, 2019 1:12 am
Sorry, not supported.
is this not supported on the old v6 or even in newer versions?
What mcarroll suggested might be an option, but will we be able to manage this with newest SyncBack?

It's not mainly a thing of costs here, but though we're having a lot of profiles doesn't mean we've using it exessively.
We are collecting data from our internal folder structure to a different folder structure and have them collected by an external supplier two times a day.
We are touching this due to changes in the folders only a few times a year.

Best,
Michael
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

It’s not possible to change source/destination paths without modifying the profile. This is not supported in V6 or newer versions.

One possible solution for your issue is to create Group variable/s for the string that is changed frequently (e.g. server name) and use that variable in the profile’s source/destination paths. In the future, if the server name is changed again then you can simply update the variable value at the group level, and the source/destination paths will be automatically updated with the newer value when the profile is run.

However, if you are using Fast Backup or Intelligent Sync profile types, I suggest running the profile manually (or perform simulated runs) after changing the variable, so that you can ensure the new source/destination locations and the files proposed for copying/deleting are correct.

Thank you.