Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Syncing documents that could be saved to OneDrive

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
Skippermark

Syncing documents that could be saved to OneDrive

Post by Skippermark »

Hi - New user here of SBP and love it. I searched but didn't find my answer, so I hope my question makes sense.

On my computer, my Documents folder syncs to OneDrive through the OneDrive app. In the OneDrive app I have some folders set to always keep local copies of files and others are set to the default, which I think means that OneDrive will remove some local files if space is needed on my computer and replace it with a "shortcut" to the original file, which is still saved on the OneDrive servers.

My question is, how will SBP handle those shortcut files when I backup/sync my documents directory. Will it simply save the shortcut link, or will it somehow know the local file is just a shortcut then download and backup the actual file from the OneDrive servers?

For my backup settings, I mirror my computer to backup drives, so if I delete something on the computer, it will also be deleted from the backup. I also want my backups to save the actual file and not just a link to the file in the cloud.

I probably way over-explained my question, but I appreciate everyone's help. Thank you!
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Syncing documents that could be saved to OneDrive

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

I guess, you have activated OneDrive’s ‘Files On-Demand’ feature? If yes, then SyncBack profile may fail when backing-up cloud-only files (files that are on the OneDrive server) as they are not available locally. For additional details, please read this article:

https://help.2brightsparks.com/support/ ... 3000336216

Thank you.
Skippermark

Re: Syncing documents that could be saved to OneDrive

Post by Skippermark »

I did some testing, and the backup is working exactly like I want. If a file is on OneDrive but on the local drive, SyncBackPro automatically downloads it from the cloud when backing it up. I'm running in easy mode not expert and haven't changed anything from the default settings.

I have a laptop I never back up and then my main computer, which I frequently back up (sync).

To test, I copied some files to the desktop on the laptop that I never backup. They synced to OneDrive and showed a cloud icon on the main computer, which is what I expected to happen because the folder I copied them to is not set to always keep a local copy. The "files" were just a link to the OneCloud files and showed 0 bytes on the disk and had the cloud icon on them.

When I ran a sync on that folder, SyncBackPro actually downloaded the files from the cloud to my computer and then backed them up as if they had been on the computer before I started the backup.

This was exactly what I wanted to happen because there's a chance a file may be in the cloud but not on my local drive.

Thanks for the help!