SBM Console: No data was returned

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
Leonardo

SBM Console: No data was returned

Postby Leonardo » Sat Jul 15, 2017 10:39 am

Hi,

I'm currently testing the SBM service and console. However, I'm having some issues with it. It doesn't seem to recognize my SyncBack Pro (v7) right. Im using the following:

Win 7 Pro x64
SyncBack Pro 7.5.19.0
SBM Service and SBM Console 3.9.0.0

After starting the console for the first time I completed the instructions in the manual by changing the admin password. I did this on the same system where SyncBack Pro is installed, as advised in the manual. I can successfully login. After login I see the message in green "There have been no failed profiles run since 13-7-2017" Actually, I do have one failed one on 14-7-2017. Second, when I go to the Service menu en choose for example History or Profiles I get the error "No data was returned" I have 5 active profiles and 8 inactive profiles. All profiles have a history. So the SBM service is running, like I said, I can successfully login but it isn't retrieving any correct information from SB Pro. I'm having this issue both on the system where SB Pro is installed as on a seperate system (on the same subnet) with Win 10 Pro. Am I missing something here? Maybe I forgot a step? Any advise is appreciated, thnx!

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: SBM Console: No data was returned

Postby Swapna » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:03 am

Hi,

The version of SyncBackPro you are using is outdated. Please download and install the latest version from here:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/assets/so ... _Setup.exe

Do not uninstall and reinstall, or you'll lose your profiles & settings. Just install 'over the top'.

After upgrading, test the connection to SBMS from SyncBackPro's > Preferences > Management service settings. If the connection is successful, press (ctrl + F5) to do an immediate upload of history to SBMS. Then try accessing 'Service menu > History' page from SBM console to see if you can view profile’s history? If the problem persists, please contact us directly through our support ticketing channel by sending an email to support@2brightsparks.com

Thank you.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Jul 17, 2017 11:09 am

Leonardo wrote:[SBMS] isn't retrieving any correct information from SB Pro

SBMS does not actually 'retrieve' profile-level information from Pro; instead, Pro 'reports' such information to SBMS while Pro is open/running (always assuming SBM Server is running, which it generally is, because it runs as a service). To enable this, you have to 'connect' the desired instance/s of Pro to a/the correct/single instance of SBM Server - and it sounds like you have not yet done so (configured either instance of Pro to talk to that Server - at least, you haven't mentioned it so far).

Go to main Pro Preferences menu > Management Service Settings, and (using the SBMS client Username and Password you will need to have already set up in SBM Console for that SBM Server) connect Pro to the appropriate Server (press F1 for contextual Help on the dialog) . Note that this User & Password needs creating on that Server beforehand (using the Console), and to set up a SBM User in SBM console you will need to specify one of the Security Profile/s you set up for that Server, so you must have previously created (using the Console) one or more Security Profiles to select from...

SBMS is a modular system, and there are many aspects of it where you must create/configure 'bricks' first before you can 'build' stuff from them. Some of these you need to create in a specific order, reflecting the hierarchy & inter-dependence. Likewise, some stuff that is user-definable (such as 'which Pro clients talk to which instance of SBM Server') needs 'connecting' - usually with specific details/credentials. This is the case even if you only have one of each - because the mechanism must be able to cope with multiple instances of either)

Note: there are some situations where you might see 'No data was returned' where this is not an error (probably is 'a good thing'). For example, System Status (on Console's Service menu) often returns that message because the dialog defaults to Minimum message level = Warning & Maximum message level = Critical, so in a setup that is working without problems, there may be no such messages to display (no messages that match those min/max parameters). If you set Minimum to Information and click Refresh, you should now get many more status messages (assuming that by now you have at least one instance of Pro reporting to the instance of SBM Server you are looking at). Note that AFAICS you can't set message-levels to different min/max values so that they are saved as defaults for next time; seems you can only do so 'on the fly' (with dialog open). I imagine this is 'by design'.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Jul 17, 2017 1:33 pm

Seems 2BS 'also' replied while I was proof-reading :) and I did not notice till now. AFAICS the content of both replies is appropriate, though the order might be better; suspect best to

update version of Pro - NB: Swapna's link will get you the free update to latest V7 (not 'upgrade to V8', which might be more complex * )

connect your instances of Pro to SBMS as I described (if not done already) & test the connections as Swapna mentioned

use Swapna's key-combo on both instances of Pro to force-export each History to SBMS, then check in Console as described. (Note: Ctrl-F5 should not be necessary every time, it just avoids waiting for <= 1 hour for a background upload)

(a) V8 is likely a paid upgrade for you, given the probable age of your V7 license
(b) if you plan to switch to the 64-bit V8 version, this cannot be done 'over the top' - needs export of V7 profiles / uninstall V7 / install V8x64 / re-import profiles. Suggest stick to latest V7 (as per Swapna's link) until you are more familiar with SBMS

Leonardo

Postby Leonardo » Tue Jul 18, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi,

Thnx for your in depth replies. Now it's more clear to me how the service actually works. I updated SB Pro to version 7.7.0.0. I wasn't aware that I had to configure SBMS from withing SB Pro too. After doing this the application froze as soon as it tried to contact the SBMS but after configuring the service to run with my admin account it's all working. From withing the console I can also view the profiles history. So it's all working like a charm right now. Thnx again! :D

Return to “SBM Service and Console”