Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Deduplication

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
harden

Deduplication

Post by harden »

I understand the general industry application of deduplication as the proprietary data comparison methodology for reducing data storage and transfer for offsite/remote backups. I also realize that the syncback software is not made to do that as it operates with the os to exchange actual files and not the bits and bytes individually so standard deduplication is not available.

What I am interested in seeing is for Syncback to understand file moves. If I have a user move 10 Gigs of data (which could just mean something as simple as renaming a directory) Syncback will delete the data from the remote file store and then copy new data, which is actually exactly the same as the old data, back to the remote source. Is it possible for Syncback to recognize the "move" and just reorganize the remote data source. Even potentially in the case of a directory rename, to just rename the remote storage directory rather than deleting and recreating?
Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Deduplication

Post by Conrad Chung »

Only a Intelligent Synchronization profile (that has run once already, so it has a database of 'previous-state each side' to search for possible candidates) has a chance to replicate renames/moves by renaming/moving (assuming the file system format of your target system permits that). Backup & Mirror profiles can also replicate the new structure, but only by 'deleting old / re-copying new'. Intelligent Synchronization profiles that have no database yet (or you Clear it), or where no potential matches are found in it, will fall back to this delete/re-copy mode automatically.

Bear in mind that if the file has been moved and edited, it will certainly fail (as the hash values won't match, so it won't be considered) so the slower method will be used.

For more information about renames/moves, please read the Help file on the section 'Intelligent Synchronizationhronization'.