Collisions with android sync

SyncBack Touch is a cross-platform (Windows, macOS, Linux and Android) file server for use with SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE. For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
warpten

Collisions with android sync

Postby warpten » Sat Jul 09, 2016 2:16 pm

Hi, i have a problem with SBT and hope somebody can point me to a solution
My profile is to mirror PC source to Android destination.
First time SBT copied the files from the PC but than every time see a collisions in time/date and wants to copy them again.
Even if i choose to ignore time/date in compare options, what am i missing?

tnx

Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Collisions with android sync

Postby Kostas » Sun Jul 10, 2016 1:13 am

Hi,

You haven't mentioned which Android version your device is using, but latest versions don't allow setting timestamps on files. Even we do try to set them, our API calls are being ignored. That's why SyncBack wants to copy your files all over again because after it scans the destination files on your Android it thinks they are still different (due to different last modification timestamps).

In this cases we suggest using Fast Backup when backing up files to the Android device since Fast Backup keeps track of the files' details on the destination so it will not depend on the file timestamps for its decision making. One thing to note though is that files on the destination should not be altered by any other means and/or applications since SyncBack will not be scanning the destination for any changes (unless you manually request a full scan again).

You can read more about Fast Backup here.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]

warpten

Postby warpten » Sun Jul 10, 2016 7:13 am

Thank you for the answer Kostas

Yeah i was afraid it was because of the permission bug with FUSE, i'm using nexus 5&7 with Android 5.0 and 6.0..
I had a problem with manual copy of images from PC, FUSE always changed timestamps on the files.
My solution was to put images in tar.gz, copy them on android device, and then through terminal emulator request su privileges and unzip them.

So maybe if SBT requests root privileges first? but that would mean only on rooted devices

anyway, tnx

Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Kostas » Sun Jul 10, 2016 8:32 am

BTW, I forgot to mention as an alternative to using Fast Backup is to enable compression in your SyncBack profile so each file is stored in a ZIP file. The ZIP filename will include the correct timestamp information so SyncBack will check that instead of the actual file's last modification time.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]

Return to “SyncBack Touch”