PC tries to run a Syncback Touch profile without the app being started on the device

SyncBack Touch is a cross-platform (Windows, macOS, Linux and Android) file server for use with SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE. For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
olidie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

PC tries to run a Syncback Touch profile without the app being started on the device

Postby olidie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 6:34 pm

Hi,

today I encountered the following problem: a Syncback Touch profile is attempted to be exectued by Syncback Pro without being started on the device.

Here's what I do: on my PC (Win 8.1 x64 running Syncback Pro V7.5.19.0) I have a folder called "Picture Transfer". This folder is used in two Syncback Touch Profiles, one to move the pictures to my phone (Nexus 5, Android 6.0.1.) and one to move to my tablet (Nvidia Shield K1, Android 5.1.1.). My intention is to fill the folder with pictures and move the pictures to the choosen device by activating the Syncback Touch App ("Run this profile when Syncback Touch starts on this device" is checked) on the relevent device. Since the pictures are moved the folder on my PC is left empty afterwards. I also checked "Run this profile when any files or directories are changed on PC" and set it to 15 seconds.

Now here's the problem. Once I moved pictures from the folder to e.g. the phone Syncback tries to connect to the tablet and gives me an error message after failed attempts simply because Syncback Touch is not started on the tablet. I assume this is due to the monitoring of changes of the files on the PC. Is there any other way to solve this? I see no other way to make Syncback move new files to the device once the Syncback Touch is already running.

Thanks for any thoughts and ideas.

Oliver

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: PC tries to run a Syncback Touch profile without the app being started on the device

Postby cliffhanger » Thu Mar 17, 2016 8:41 pm

Check the setting 'Run this profile when SyncBack Touch starts on this device' again. Notice how it doesn't say "only when" or "only if". It is a trigger, not a pre-condition, and won't prevent anything else (including you) trying to run the profile.

If a profile is set to trigger OnChange (of the contents of the PC Picture Transfer folder) and the contents of that folder change, SB should trigger that profile, yes. And the profile will try to connect to Touch on the specified device, and either succeed or fail, depending whether Touch is running on that device or not (and assuming the device itself is reachable, powered, whatever).

I'm not clear why you think you need the OnChange trigger at all - AFAICS you can control which profile runs simply by running Touch on the device you want to transfer to when* you want to transfer stuff to it.

Of course, you should remember that if you start Touch on a device (where SB is configured to detect that specific app:device combination) for some other reason (say, to run some entirely different Touch profile configured to use that same device, maybe for music?), any profile(s) configured to detect that Touch-start on that device will try to run regardless. AFAICS this trigger is only designed to work in a simple set-up with one such auto-detect profile:device combination. If you have multiple profiles configured to detect Touch starting on the same device (and it does) they'll all try and run simultaneously. Moral: only configure max one such profile per device.

* and not before

olidie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Re: PC tries to run a Syncback Touch profile without the app being started on the device

Postby olidie » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:09 pm

Thank you for your quick response, cliffhanger!

cliffhanger wrote: Check the setting 'Run this profile when SyncBack Touch starts on this device' again. Notice how it doesn't say "only when" or "only if". It is a trigger, not a pre-condition, and won't prevent anything else (including you) trying to run the profile.

I assumed that this a setting is meant in the way you explained it but hoped for it to be a pre-condition. But I understand that correctly.

If a profile is set to trigger OnChange (of the contents of the PC Picture Transfer folder) and the contents of that folder change, SB should trigger that profile, yes. And the profile will try to connect to Touch on the specified device, and either succeed or fail, depending whether Touch is running on that device or not (and assuming the device itself is reachable, powered, whatever).

Understood. Is there a way to prevent a profil from being executed if the touch device is not connected? Like I use the %LABEL= variable to run certain profiles only when specific drives are connected.

I'm not clear why you think you need the OnChange trigger at all - AFAICS you can control which profile runs simply by running Touch on the device you want to transfer to when* you want to transfer stuff to it.

I was just thinking about adding more pictures to the folder in the process while being conntect with the device via touch. But you are right as long as all pictures are in this folder and then Touch is run it's fine.

Of course, you should remember that if you start Touch on a device (where SB is configured to detect that specific app:device combination) for some other reason (say, to run some entirely different Touch profile configured to use that same device, maybe for music?), any profile(s) configured to detect that Touch-start on that device will try to run regardless. AFAICS this trigger is only designed to work in a simple set-up with one such auto-detect profile:device combination. If you have multiple profiles configured to detect Touch starting on the same device (and it does) they'll all try and run simultaneously. Moral: only configure max one such profile per device.

On each device, phone and tablet, I have another Touch profile that is set to run when Touch is started but these never showed any failure. I guess that's because they are set to copy files FROM the mobile device TO the computer. For example I use it to move DNG RAW files of the phones camera to the desktop since dropbox does not back them up. Also I move all downloads from the tablet to the download folder of the desktop. Works fine so far. Still I will take advise to heart and switch from auto start to a manual mode.

Thank you again!

ps. I am sorry but I don't get why my quotes are not working...

Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Kostas » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:46 pm

olidie wrote:Thank you again!

ps. I am sorry but I don't get why my quotes are not working...

Hi,

You had BBCode disabled in your post's options. I've edited it and now it shows fine.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]

olidie
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Postby olidie » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:52 am

Kostas wrote: You had BBCode disabled in your post's options. I've edited it and now it shows fine.

Oh, now I see that there's a "Disable BBCode" beneath the editor. I only looked on the right under the smilies where it said that BBCode is On although it was disabled. Thank you!

Return to “SyncBack Touch”