What is syncback touch?

SyncBack Touch is a cross-platform (Windows, macOS, Linux and Android) file server for use with SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE. For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
wnyhiker

What is syncback touch?

Postby wnyhiker » Sat Dec 26, 2015 2:36 pm

I'm confused by the relationship between syncbackpro and touch. Do I need both to keep several computers in sync? For example, if I want to keep all the data files on two laptops and two desktops, do I need 4 licenses of Syncbackpro and 4 licenses of Touch? How does Touch differ from Syncbackpro? What does touch do that syncbackpro does not?

Is it possible to use either program (or both together) to keep the desktop version of Outlook in sync? I have used other backup/sync Outlook programs like mopbackup but they just make a copy of the outlook file which has to be transferred to the other computer then installed on the other computer - a rather cumbersome and time consuming method really just useful for moving an outlook data set rather than keeping two in sync. Do syncbackpro or touch do anything different that would help keep outlook desktop in sync on two or mor ecomputers

DennisK
Advanced
Advanced

Re: What is syncback touch?

Postby DennisK » Sun Dec 27, 2015 12:24 pm

wnyhiker wrote:Do I need both to keep several computers in sync? For example, if I want to keep all the data files on two laptops and two desktops, do I need 4 licenses of Syncbackpro and 4 licenses of Touch?

Hi!

Take a look inside here: http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... ouch-guide
Touch (SBT) is kind of a companion to SyncBackPro/SE (SBP). You can use SBT for example to backup your family-computers managed by your own computer with installed SBP.

SBP comes with two "build-in" licences for SBT. So you can run backup-jobs on three devices (2 SBT and 1 SBP) out of the box, when you buy SBP,

If you're just a home-user, you can install SBP up to five PCs. So you would not need SBT in your case.

Hope this helps...

Dennis

wnyhiker

Postby wnyhiker » Sun Dec 27, 2015 11:22 pm

I'm still confused. I'm trying to figure out what a real world application "create a comprehensive backup of all of your home or business information that resides on computers, mobile phones, tablets or other devices that run Windows, OS X or Android." would look like, and why it can't be done just with synhbackpro?

What exactly does Touch do that Syncbackpro does not do? The description at your link implies that Touch simply allows use for business information instead of just home information, because it appears that syncbackpro by itself can "create a comprehensive backup of all of your home information...."

If Syncbackpro will allow me to keep 5 family computers in sync then what does touch add to the mix?

For example, My spouse and I both have separate laptops and desktops. We transfer pictures from our phones, our digital cameras, and our kids flicker accounts to our desktops and our laptops. We want to use Syncbackpro to be certain that all of the pictures on every computer are also on every other computer.

As we have only 4 computers it seems that the 5 licenses allowed with the purchase of one syncbackpro is more than sufficient to do the job. What does touch add to the mix if it is not needed to run syncbackpro? And if it touch is needed, then how do we use syncbackpro on 5 computers if we only get two licenses for touch?

Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Conrad Chung » Mon Dec 28, 2015 7:59 am

wnyhiker wrote:I'm still confused. I'm trying to figure out what a real world application "create a comprehensive backup of all of your home or business information that resides on computers, mobile phones, tablets or other devices that run Windows, OS X or Android." would look like, and why it can't be done just with synhbackpro?

To put it simply, there are a few ways in which SyncBackPro can connect to a remote device. For example, you can configure a UNC path to point to a networked PC, or set up an FTP server, or use Media Transfer Protocol (MTP) to connect to a mobile device/tablet. However, SyncBack Touch adds an additional option for users to choose from should they decide not to use MTP, UNC paths etc.

In addition, users may encounter difficulty in copying locked files from a networked/remote Source as well as permissions issues which can be circumvented using SyncBack Touch.

Given that each license copy of SyncBackSE/Pro V7 comes with two free connections to SyncBack Touch, you can always download/install a copy of SyncBack Touch to test it out on your own:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/download-syncbacktouch.html

wnyhiker

Postby wnyhiker » Tue Dec 29, 2015 12:47 am

thanks for the partial response.

can you also answer my other questions.

What exactly does Touch do that Syncbackpro does not do? The description at your link implies that Touch simply allows use for business information instead of just home information, because it appears that syncbackpro by itself can "create a comprehensive backup of all of your home information...."

If Syncbackpro will allow me to keep 5 family computers in sync then what does touch add to the mix?

For example, My spouse and I both have separate laptops and desktops. We transfer pictures from our phones, our digital cameras, and our kids flicker accounts to our desktops and our laptops. We want to use Syncbackpro to be certain that all of the pictures on every computer are also on every other computer.

As we have only 4 computers it seems that the 5 licenses allowed with the purchase of one syncbackpro is more than sufficient to do the job. What does touch add to the mix if it is not needed to run syncbackpro? And if it touch is needed, then how do we use syncbackpro on 5 computers if we only get two licenses for touch?

Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Kostas » Wed Dec 30, 2015 10:21 am

I hope my reply will help clearing things up.

SyncBack Touch can be run as a standalone application (when installed on Mac OSX or Android devices) or as a service (when installed on Windows). It's purpose is to assist SyncBackPro/SE to access the file system of the device/computer it's running on so SyncBackPro/SE can perform its various tasks (backup, mirror and sync). Its main advantage is that it provides native connectivity without the quirks of other methods (e.g. FTP, shared folders, UNC paths, etc).

Here are some use case scenarios:
  • You want to backup files from a Mac computer into your Windows PC. So you install Touch on the Mac and SyncBackPro/SE on your Windows PC and create a profile to use Touch on the Mac.
  • Similarly, you want to backup files from a Android device into your Windows PC. Same procedure as above.
  • You need to copy files from another Windows PC and some of those files may be in use (locked). Touch can access those locked files if installed on that computer and pass them to SyncBackPro/SE when requested.
  • You have one or more computers outside your home/local network (e.g. over the internet) and you want to backup files from them (or into them) with SyncBackPro/SE. Installing Touch on the remote computer will allow SyncBackPro/SE to access it easily. In this scenario firewalls and routers may need to be configured to allow incoming connections to the remote computer.

You don't need to or have to use Touch if SyncBackPro/SE alone can already do what you need for your home computers.

Thanks,
Kostas
[2bs]

wnyhiker

Postby wnyhiker » Thu Dec 31, 2015 3:00 pm

thank - that was what I needed to know. I purchased a syncbacpro license with the additional 5-pack touch because it was so inexpensive.

One last question - my desktop has some business files on it. I'm a sole practitioner and work from home.

How many licenses of syncbackpro do I need to use it to sync the business files between my desktop and laptop using my additional Touch licenses, or to backup the business files to a cloud server? Is one enough or do I need to have a syncbackpro license for both the laptop and the desktop and the cloud server?

Conrad Chung
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Conrad Chung » Thu Dec 31, 2015 4:08 pm

wnyhiker wrote:thank - that was what I needed to know. I purchased a syncbacpro license with the additional 5-pack touch because it was so inexpensive.

One last question - my desktop has some business files on it. I'm a sole practitioner and work from home.

How many licenses of syncbackpro do I need to use it to sync the business files between my desktop and laptop using my additional Touch licenses, or to backup the business files to a cloud server? Is one enough or do I need to have a syncbackpro license for both the laptop and the desktop and the cloud server?

Hi, if you are using SyncBackPro in a work environment or if it is used to process business-related data (e.g. installed in the workplace, which includes processing of non-personal/work-related data on a personal computer - including work from home), then a separate license must be purchased for each installation of the program (including one per virtual machine). Installing the program on a server, or on a single workstation used non-simultaneously by multiple people, counts as one installation.

View our Licensing Policy here:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... -licensing

In addition, do note that the SyncBack Touch 5-pack license is for personal usage only (to process personal, non-work data).

The licensing terms for SyncBack Touch has been stated in our webstore on the description of the SyncBack Touch: Home User 5-License Pack product:

http://store.esellerate.net/s.aspx?s=STR2236179640&PT=TN

LIMITED TO TWO HOME PACKS PER INSTALLATION - NOT FOR BUSINESS USE

as well as on the licensing section of the SyncBack Touch's product page:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/sbt.html

When used to process non-personal data (e.g. the workplace, but including processing non-personal data on a personal computer), a separate license SyncBack Touch license must be purchased for each installation of the program (including one per virtual machine).

However, given that you have purchased a single SyncBackPro license, which comes standard with 2 complimentary free SyncBack Touch connections, you can opt to use one of these free Touch connections (install one Touch program on either your PC or laptop, while the other machine installed with SyncBackPro) to backup the business files between your PC and laptop.

As for backing up your files to the cloud, it is not necessary to use SyncBack Touch; from SyncBackPro main interface, you can simply create a cloud-based profile via the Profile Creation Wizard (follow the on-screen prompts and when asked to define your Source/Destination paths, pick the Cloud resource you want to backup to (or from) from the dropdown menu (depending on your setup). For more information, please refer to the "Creating your First Profile" section under SyncBackPro's Help file.

If you follow the steps above, you would still be left with 6 unused SyncBack Touch connections:

- 1 remaining SyncBack Touch complimentary connection (1 Touch connection is used to connect between your laptop and PC)
- 5 SyncBack Touch home-pack licenses - You can use these to connect to any other device (Mac OSX, another Windows device, Android-based mobile device) to backup personal data.

Return to “SyncBack Touch”