Syncback Touch - How to open on Windows 7

SyncBack Touch is a cross-platform (Windows, macOS, Linux and Android) file server for use with SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE. For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
jflatto

Syncback Touch - How to open on Windows 7

Postby jflatto » Mon Jan 26, 2015 1:01 pm

I just installed Syncback Touch on a Windows 7 computer. From looking at the Task Manager, I know that is is running but I do not know how to open it. In the Start menu, I am just seeing the quick start guide. If I open the containing folder and open the application, I get a message that it is running as a service. I am not seeing an icon for it in the notification area of the toolbar.

Since I want to use SyncBack Pro across the internet, I need to use the hostname and port from Syncback Touch.

Thanks

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Syncback Touch - How to open on Windows 7

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:07 pm

Hi, there's nothing to open (no UI) - SyncBack Touch is running purely as a service on Windows. You do your configuration from within Pro/SE via the SyncBack Touch settings page in a profile that uses Touch. Basically, you Find the device using the default parameters the service is pre-configured to use (matching those Pro/SE use by default) and after the Find (connection achieved) you can optionally Configure (alternate port, add password, and so on).

This may help viewtopic.php?f=31&t=11063 (also listed as sticky post at top of this forum) in addition to the Quick Start Guide you found already. See also the contextual Help on the SyncBack Touch settings page of a profile (press F1 with Touch settings page open).

I'd recommend starting off using a copy of Pro/SE on the same PC that Touch is installed on to do the basic Find (hint: my install lists the service under the Windows computer-name, and if using name, you don't need to specify/change port).

I don't have the sort of environment which involves remote connection to my PC (I only installed Touch on it locally to test it briefly), so haven't tried it any further - so, if you get stuck, you'll need to come back and ask for more focused support from 2BS staff if the Quick Start, the Pro/SE Help and the forum sticky don't help (plus, other posts in this Touch section may have answered your questions already). One thing I can tell you (and so will at least one of the reference sources mentioned) is that the default port is 8080. I suspect you'll actually need to connect remotely using IP (not hostname) as the name-resolution available to the client machine you use (client remote to the machine running Touch) is unlikely (?) to be able to resolve the Touch PC's machine name - see forum sticky guide in connecting to 2BS's guest Touch server, which uses IP.

Note: if you experiment connecting to the 2BS Touch server, note that it appears to be locked to the root of D:\ on their end (thus, your Dest string would be D:\ - you can't add a sub-folder manually, as it errors if you try). You can however copy folders to it (as well as files), and having done so, you can then select the copied folder as part of Dest string (go figure). However it works well enough to test the principle of remote connection.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:28 pm

PS: I just tried creating (also deleting) new folders on root of remote D:\ on 2BS's test Touch server VM again, and this time it performed flawlessly. It may be glitchy browsing-upwards (using .. entry) logic accidentally stripping the backslash from D:\ (to leave D: ) as the Dest string, which seems to spawn the errors if you try adding a new folder, as it then tries to store the resulting path with incorrect syntax after concatenation. If I back out of the browse altogether, manually add the \ back and then repeat, it all works again. Sometimes it works anyway (the \ isn't stripped) :?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Mon Jan 26, 2015 4:56 pm

PPS: further testing shows that the correct syntax should be \D\ anyway (it's a path representing a drive, not a drive per se). Unfortunately, the error message you can get if you try to browse (using the single backslash the New Profile wizard inserts as Dest string)

Access to "\\?\\"is not permitted (restricted to "D:\")

tends to suggest you should use normal drive-letter syntax, which kinda works (it makes an effort!), but with glitches. Suggest use the virtual path \D\ (added manually) before opening the dialog, trying to create folders, etc, and it then all seems to hang together better

jflatto

Postby jflatto » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:14 pm

Thank you very much. I will take a look when I get home from work and see if I can figure it out.

I had looked at the document you references before I posted my question. Where I was being "tripped up", the last line in the "Quick Start" section reads: "- If SyncBack Touch is not on the same local network, or it cannot be found, you can enter the hostname (or IP address) and port (which you can find by looking at the SyncBack Touch interface while it’s running)."

Thus I was looking for the "Syncback Touch Interface" and was trying to figure out how to open the interface.

rine111
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

SE finding Touch device - but not connecting

Postby rine111 » Sat May 02, 2015 10:07 am

Hi

Just starting with Touch.

Touch app on my Galaxy Note 2 is open,ON and screen is on.

When trying to setup a profile, SE V7 on my PC can find the phone and I select it in the dropdown.

When I click Test I get a message saying

'Failed to connect to Syncback Touch device GT-N7105'.

When I ignore and go further to select folders to backup, I can select a folder on the PC but when I try to select a folder on the phone I get the same error message as above.

Note: I have downloaded Touch to my W7 PC, installed it and restarted the machine. Touch does not appear in TaskManager.

Peter

rine111
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby rine111 » Sat May 02, 2015 11:01 am

Sorry. Correction now actually achieved.

TouchControl.exe has appeared in TaskManager. Took a while for some reason.

Jarkspeak

Postby Jarkspeak » Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:39 am

I'm having the same issues - but this article doesn't tell me where I am going wrong. Maybe I'm being a bit dim.

I have SB Pro bought, paid for and installed at home on W10. Great works well.

I have installed Touch at work (on W7). I understand that it runs as a service and that there is no UI

My question is how do the two connect? At the moment my work computer could be any computer on the internet so it can't be 'discoverable'.

Do I need to install Pro at work too? Is it the licence key that 'validates' the machines so they can talk?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Sat Aug 12, 2017 11:47 am

Hi,

Please read this article for the settings and options that need to be configured to connect and backup files to/from a Touch device over the internet:

http://www.2brightsparks.com/resources/ ... ernet.html

Thank you.

Return to “SyncBack Touch”