Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Quick Start Guide

SyncBack Touch is a cross-platform (Windows, macOS, Linux and Android) file server for use with SyncBackPro and SyncBackSE. It is free to use with SyncBackPro/SE V10 or newer. For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Quick Start Guide

Post by mickyj »

Technical Requirements

SyncBack Touch is cross platform and can be installed on Windows Vista or newer, macOS 10.10 (Yosemite) or newer, Linux (64-bit Intel Linux: Ubuntu (LTS 16.04 or newer) and RedHat Enterprise (V7)) and Android (ARMv7 devices with NEON FPU support, running Lollipop (5.x) or newer.

Purpose

SyncBack Touch is a cross-platform file server. It allows remote installations of SyncBackPro or SyncBackSE to connect to it to copy files to and from it. For example, you could install SyncBack Touch on your mobile device to backup its pictures.

Quick Start

Follow these steps:

- If you have the old SyncBack File Server (SBFS) installed then you must uninstall that first.

- Download and install SyncBack Touch on the device whose files you want to access using SyncBack. This could be Windows, macOS or Android. Download the appropriate installation file from the 2BrightSparks web site.

- Start SyncBack Touch on the device. For Windows there’s nothing to do as it runs in the background all the time.

- Install SyncBackSE/Pro V7.0.0.29 or newer on your Windows computer. SyncBackFree cannot use SyncBack Touch.

- Create a new profile and select the Source (or Destination) as SyncBack Touch.

- On the SyncBack Touch settings page (in the New Profile Wizard or when modifying your profile) click the Find button. If SyncBack Touch is running on the same local network then it will find the device running SyncBack Touch. By default no username or password is required. Click the Test button to verify.

- If SyncBack Touch is not on the same local network, or it cannot be found, you can enter the hostname (or IP address) and port (which you can find by looking at the SyncBack Touch interface while it’s running, if you're using macOS or Android). SyncBack Touch on Windows runs as a service and so has no user interface.

Security and Configuration

By default SyncBack Touch installations require no username or password to access them. On macOS and Android devices you can change the security settings of SyncBack Touch on the device itself via its menu. On Windows, SyncBack Touch runs in the background as a service so you must configure it using SyncBackPro or SyncBackSE.

SyncBack Touch provides two types of security: you can optionally set a password so that it cannot be accessed via SyncBack without the correct password, or you can configure it to use the SyncBack Management Service (SBMS) for validation. SBMS is the recommended option when you have multiple SyncBack Touch installations

Contacting Us

We urge you to contact us if you find any bugs or issues no matter how trivial:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/

When reporting a bug please give detailed instructions on how to reproduce the bug.
ukisyma

Re: Quick Start Guide

Post by ukisyma »

I just upgraded to Syncback V7 so I can use Touch to backup my (Android) and my wife's (Windows) phones.
But which files do I back up to ensure I have all the Contacts, for instance? When I look at the Profile, it will back up everything on the phone, OS and all, which seems a bit over-the-top, and sizable.
Thanks
Kostas
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Quick Start Guide

Post by Kostas »

ukisyma wrote:I just upgraded to Syncback V7 so I can use Touch to backup my (Android) and my wife's (Windows) phones.
But which files do I back up to ensure I have all the Contacts, for instance? When I look at the Profile, it will back up everything on the phone, OS and all, which seems a bit over-the-top, and sizable.
Thanks
Currently SyncBack Touch doesn't distinguish files of any kind, it just does what SyncBackPro/SE tells it to do. So in your case you will need to tell SyncBackPro what files you need and where to find them, similarly to what you would have done if you were doing a backup of your computer's hard disk. Unfortunately it's impossible for us to know where and how you can get specific files since every device is different with each one having its own applications.

And as I've replied to another post you've made, Windows Phone is not supported but you may be able to use MTP via USB so SyncBackPro can access its contents directly.

Regards,
Kostas
[2bs]