Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Failed to scan files:

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Doc_Ben

Failed to scan files:

Post by Doc_Ben »

What does: "Failed to scan files: Cannot read from zip file. (505) (Destination)" mean?

This occurs on what appears to be a random basis (every second or third time) on several backup profiles. This also makes SyncBackFree unreliable.

I have several backups scheduled after 11 PM and separated by ~30-minutes.

This appears to be a recent problem since I have been using SyncBackFree fro many years. A manual run seems to work.

Windows 8.1, 64-bit with SSD.

SyncBackFree V9.3.40.0 (32-bit)

Backup is zipped using 7-Zip and saved to an external SSD.

Using for example:

cscript "C:\Program Files (x86)\2BrightSparks\vbs_files\TimeStamp.vbs" "\\RT-AC88U-FILES\Backups - David\Misc\Downloads.zip"

Where "RT-AC88U-FILES" is the external SSD. It is shared between me and my wife via an ASUS router. Her computer is off at night.
Doc_Ben

Re: Failed to scan files: SyncBackFree is unreliable

Post by Doc_Ben »

Further investigation shows that SyncBackFree is unreliable.

I run certain backups every night (7, well spaced), and others once a month (9, timed so as not to interfere with the nightly runs).

Notes:

1.) Backups are reported (in logs) as "Scan Failure" but the backup files are there.

2.) Backups are reported as "Success" but the file is not there.

3.) Items 1 & 2 are not consistent, i.e. not the same backup on consecutive nights or on any consistent pattern.

4.) The backup can be run manually with no problems.

Conclusion: After many years of use, SyncBackFree is currently unreliable and should be posted as such!