Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Why would the mirror of a file not be identical?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Why would the mirror of a file not be identical?

Post by markfleener »

The file on the source is 4,096 bytes smaller than the one in the destination. I had set it to mirror the drive, deleting anything on the destination that's not on the source, so why would this be?

This is a continuation of what I had started here...

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=13939&p=51995#p51995
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Re: Why would the mirror of a file not be identical?

Post by mmullins_98 »

Look at the permissions on each file. Properties, Security, check who has and what the permissions are. Moving files or copying files handle permissions differently in Win 10.
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

The permissions for each file were identical. I tried turning on Full Control for everything on both files, then running the SyncBack profile to make them identical, but that didn't work. The source file was still smaller than the destination file. I then noticed under properties something about this file having come from a computer that is blocked (on both files), asking me to unblock it. Once I did that the files became identical in size. Does anyone here know what that is all about and how I can go about unblocking all the files without having to go through each one individually? There's thousands upon thousands and that's just not something I can do. There has to be a way to do them all at once (simultaneously).
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

markfleener wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:09 pm
The permissions for each file were identical. I tried turning on Full Control for everything on both files, then running the SyncBack profile to make them identical, but that didn't work. The source file was still smaller than the destination file. I then noticed under properties something about this file having come from a computer that is blocked (on both files), asking me to unblock it. Once I did that the files became identical in size. Does anyone here know what that is all about and how I can go about unblocking all the files without having to go through each one individually? There's thousands upon thousands and that's just not something I can do. There has to be a way to do them all at once (simultaneously).

Regarding my previous reply, I can't help but wonder why the files would not be identical in size when one is a copy of the other, and what am I actually unblocking, giving another computer access to mine? How dangerous is this? It was a youtube video which I used a Firefox add-on (YouTube to MP3 Converter - YTMP3.EU) to convert it to mp3.
mmullins_98
Expert
Expert

Post by mmullins_98 »

You are asking Windows questions not Syncback questions so I suggest you use Google to get the answers you need. I did a Google search and found all the answers to your questions.
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

My google searches haven't yielded any fruitful results. Anyhow, it may be a Windows question, but it does apply to SyncBack, as it is affecting whether or not SyncBack can actually make a real copy of a file.
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

So I ask again, because it is a SyncBack question, why would SyncBack not make a file that's not an identical copy of the original?
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

Pardon the grammatical error in the previous post, I'll correct it here... So I ask again, because it is a SyncBack question, why would SyncBack make a file that's not an identical copy of the original?
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

Well, now I've come to find that SyncBack was able to make an identical copy of a file even though it had been blocked, so yeah, maybe this isn't related to SyncBack at all. I guess moderators could go ahead and delete these two questions I posted. I'm now chatting with Windows Techs but they're not able to resolved the problem (unblock all the blocked files so as to make them identical).
markfleener
Experienced
Experienced

Post by markfleener »

However, I still find it weird that SyncBack can't make the files that aren't identical, identical. I thought SyncBack would make the destination identical to the source, and that's not really actually happening, so yeah, maybe this is a SyncBack question and these questions shouldn't be deleted.