Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Problems with new version (9.0.5.0)?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
Ander

Problems with new version (9.0.5.0)?

Post by Ander »

Hi,

I've updated to v9.0.5.0, and have found some problems:

• I can't vertically resize the window to less than 2/3 of my display height. (It's still resizable horizontally.) I have only a few backup profiles, so most of SBF's window is now empty, and covers other open windows.

• The "Modify" command seems to have been removed from the context menu (see screenshot 1). Was that an oversight, or is there a different way to modify profiles now? (I couldn't find one.)

• Some of my profiles no longer show their complete folder paths, unless I hover over them (see screenshot 2).

• Pretty minor, but: When you open Global Preferences, then close the window (either by clicking "X" or Cancel), a warning appears: "The changes you have made will be lost. Are you sure you want to continue?" Sorry—what "changes"?

I'm also somewhat disappointed to see you've switched from standard menus to the Microsoft-style, horizontally oriented "ribbon" GUI, where each command has an icon, takes up much more space, and takes much longer to look through and use. I realize some people like this simplified approach—but to those of us used to compact, efficient menus, it seems like a step backwards. Any chance you could include an option to revert to standard menus?

Thanks!
Ander

Re: Problems with new version (9.0.5.0)?

Post by Ander »

I was going to add that I hadn't used the new version yet... It was such a surprise seeing these apparent oversights, considering your usual high coding standards, I'm worried there may be some problems with the app's actual functionality. :?O

There's no way to edit our own posts here, though? Or was I just unable to find it?
Ander

Post by Ander »

Oops, I forgot those screenshots, too—here they are. (No way to add them to my original post?)
Attachments
syncback_no_modify.png
syncback_no_modify.png (106.17 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
syncback_path_not_displayed.png
syncback_path_not_displayed.png (79.71 KiB) Viewed 3690 times
Ander

Post by Ander »

Until you can get to this, is there any way I can re-download the previous version, which didn't have these problems?
mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by mickyj »

Ander wrote:
Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:04 pm
• I can't vertically resize the window to less than 2/3 of my display height. (It's still resizable horizontally.) I have only a few backup profiles, so most of SBF's window is now empty, and covers other open windows.
Hi, there's a minimum height, which is why you can't reduce it past a certain point. For the next release the minimum height is lower.
• The "Modify" command seems to have been removed from the context menu (see screenshot 1). Was that an oversight, or is there a different way to modify profiles now? (I couldn't find one.)
I think this is because your screen height is low, so it's removing menu items to reduce the pop-up menu height (so it can fit on the screen). As you've hidden the button panel (which has run, modify, etc) then this is obviously going to be a problem. Until the next release, you'll need to restore the button panel (via the burger menu->Preferences, at the top-left).
Some of my profiles no longer show their complete folder paths, unless I hover over them (see screenshot 2).
The text simply doesn't fit in the space, so the tree shortens the string as best it can. This is no different than in V8. V9 has a slightly larger font, so maybe all you need to do is increase the column width.
Pretty minor, but: When you open Global Preferences, then close the window (either by clicking "X" or Cancel), a warning appears: "The changes you have made will be lost. Are you sure you want to continue?" Sorry—what "changes"?
There'll be a default value that hasn't been saved. I'm pretty sure V8 (and earlier versions) act the same, i.e. if there is a new global setting, and there is a default value, then you'll get the same until you save the settings. We'll take a look and see what setting it is and so avoid this.
Any chance you could include an option to revert to standard menus?
No. We won't be reverting to standard menus.

Thanks