Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Windows 1803 causing "Network Failure"?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
HarryStottle

Windows 1803 causing "Network Failure"?

Post by HarryStottle »

Since I updated my workstation to 1803 about a month ago, Syncback has failed every night to perform a bunch of backups its had no problem with for some years.

The error message is "network failure" but that is spurious. It's down to some weird windoze induced behaviour which makes the system think the network drives have gone to sleep (which they never have or will). Thought it might have been either a default power setting sending the network adaptor to sleep or some other new power setting but, on inspection, nothing except my monitors are allowed to sleep.

Furthermore, it's a "real" issue, in the sense that, when syncback reports the "network failure", if I try to navigate to the relevant network drive, it has indeed become inaccessible. So far the only way I've found to wake them up is to navigate to the Server root, which happily displays and then lets me open up any of the network partitions. Thus, if I logon to my workstation (from home) about 10 mins before the backups are due to run, and wake up the network, the backups then proceed normally. I'm hoping that this will provide a clue to someone in the forum.

So far I've tried adding /PERSISTENT :YES to my drive mappings and I've tried deliberately setting a task to re-run the drive mappings just before the backups are due. I've also ensured that none of the sleep settings I'm aware of are permitted. None of which is having the slightest effect.

Anyone else experiencing this? Anyone got any ideas?
HarryStottle

Re: Windows 1803 causing "Network Failure"?

Post by HarryStottle »

Solution:

Put the network credentials in the task definition.

Never been necessary before but looks like the latest version of Windoze has decided to expire network credentials after some unspecified and undocumented timeout. This would be acceptable if it was their own network, but ours isn't. Its Novell (OES).

Anyway, sorted.