Scheduled backups aborting themselves and/or running at wrong times

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE/Lite.
cbiweb
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Scheduled backups aborting themselves and/or running at wrong times

Postby cbiweb » Tue Nov 07, 2017 1:39 pm

Syncback Free Version: 8.3.16.0 x32
Windows Version: 10 Home x64 w/ Fall Creators update
Two separate laptops, one brand new, the other one with Windows reinstalled.

The Short Story: Scheduled backups are aborting for no apparent reason. Sometimes individual profiles within a group, sometimes entire group profiles. Also, some scheduled backups are running during non-scheduled times.

The Long story:
I run scheduled backups every night and don't keep any apps/programs open during that time. The backups are scheduled for 11:59pm, 2:30am, and 5:00am. This has worked for me with Syncback for years.
I recently bought a new laptop, and refreshed (reinstalled Windows) on my 3-year old machine, both are working perfectly, and both have Syncback installed, with scheduled backups configured; group profiles.
When I check these backups in the morning, I find that some of were aborted. :shock: And it's not the same profiles each time, it seems random. Sometimes individual profiles within a group are aborted, and sometimes (like today) entire groups are aborted.

I should mention also that I discovered that backups are occurring randomly on their own during non-scheduled times during the day as well; also randomly. And one of those unscheduled backups also aborted itself.

Any ideas on what's causing these issues?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Scheduled backups aborting themselves and/or running at wrong times

Postby Swapna » Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:07 am

Hi,

Please note that we do not have a scheduler in SyncBack. We rely on Windows Task Scheduler (WTS) to trigger our program on the scheduled date/time to run the tasks. When you create a Schedule within a profile, we are only providing a drill-down into the Windows Task Scheduler interface through our program settings interface to facilitate SyncBack users in the creation and configuration of a Scheduled Task.  

Therefore, the Task Scheduler on your system is responsible for calling SyncBackFree to run the task at the schedule date/time, but if WTS fails (for whatever reason), then the profile fails to run at the schedule date/time.

Can you please delete and recreate the schedule tasks (with the correct password) from:

Modify profile > When > Edit Schedule settings page

to see if it works?

Thank you.

cbiweb
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby cbiweb » Wed Nov 08, 2017 12:21 pm

Yes, I understand it's the WTS that runs the scheduled backups. And I understand that if something is wrong with WTS, then the backups will not start.

However, these are backups that are being ABORTED. That is, they do start, but then stop. And sometimes they will run at random times that are not scheduled.

Also, is it really possible that WTS would fail the same way on TWO separate computers?

I can recreate the scheduled tasks, but that's a bit of work in my very busy day. There are 26 profiles (13 on each machine) split into 8 groups (4 on each machine).

Are there truly no other things to consider before I do them all over again?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:36 am

Hi,

However, these are backups that are being ABORTED. That is, they do start, but then stop.

A common reason for abort is, when a profile is triggered to run twice at the same time. This can happen if there are duplicate (or more) copies of tasks created for a profile in the task scheduler. Please check the log files and the schedule tasks created in the Task Scheduler to understand the reason for abort.

And sometimes they will run at random times that are not scheduled. Also, is it really possible that WTS would fail the same way on TWO separate computers?

Can you try to delete and re-create the schedule task on one computer and see if it helps?

Thank you.

Return to “SyncBackFree (freeware)”