How do I move Syncback to a new computer?

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE/Lite.
cbiweb
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

How do I move Syncback to a new computer?

Postby cbiweb » Thu Oct 26, 2017 3:50 pm

Sorry about posting a topic that's probably been discussed before, but the forum search finds all my search terms to be too common ('backup', 'computer', 'move', etc.)

I did find information on how to move the profiles, so that's not a problem. But... how do I move ALL my data? All my program preferences and such. Do I simply move the actual program folder and anything found in AppData?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: How do I move Syncback to a new computer?

Postby cliffhanger » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:41 pm

Preferences menu (main GUI) > Options > Settings tab

Look at the 3rd section ('The settings are stored here') and make a note of the stated location. Click the path (it's a hyperlink) and it will open that location in Windows Explorer for you, with the file SETTINGS.INI (my caps) pre-selected. Grab a copy of this INI and place (copy) it into same location on new PC (replacing any default INI file with factory-default settings that is there ahead of you). You should probably install SBF on the new PC first to make sure the stated folders exist.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Thu Oct 26, 2017 4:47 pm

PS re search, yes, the phpBB Search (built-in to the forum software) has its limitations. You could try the Advanced Search facility (hotlink to it near the top of nearly every screen). There's a wealth of search tips on the advanced Search page, including the section 'Use site: to Refine Search' which explains how to limit your search to 'only hits on' forum or KB, etc.

cbiweb
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby cbiweb » Thu Oct 26, 2017 8:25 pm

Perfect, cliffhanger. Thanks! On both counts!

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Thu Nov 30, 2017 10:10 am

FOLLOW-UP to original question (as per topic subject)

You should also check for a file called DSETTINGS.INI in the same location as SETTINGS.INI and, if found, migrate a copy of DSETTINGS.INI likewise.

DSETTINGS.INI (if it exists) contains details of any program-wide* dialogs for which a ''Do not prompt me again' setting (or similar) has been specified.

* similar settings at the profile level are recorded in the profiles themselves; this INI contains program-level ('global') settings only

Return to “SyncBackFree (freeware)”