Log not being emailed when run unattended

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE/Lite.
otronics

Log not being emailed when run unattended

Postby otronics » Sat Oct 21, 2017 12:29 pm

Hi.

I am using SyncBackFree on various workstations.

On one machine, the log isn't being emailed after the profile is run unattended.

Settings are correct and the same as the other workstations.

However, testing the settings works (a test email sends fine) and when the profile is run manually, the email sends.

Any ideas?

Oliver.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Log not being emailed when run unattended

Postby cliffhanger » Sat Oct 21, 2017 3:56 pm

By "run unattended", do you mean "Run (Unattended)" as per right-click profile > context menu (alt. same option in Task menu with profile selected)?

Or, do you mean "Scheduled"?

If you mean the latter, have you tried the former (if not, try it & report back)?

Reason I ask is that you say "manually" works / "run unattended" does not - but you can 'Run (Unattended)' manually...

otronics

Postby otronics » Tue Oct 24, 2017 1:29 am

Thanks for the reply.

I have tested again.

It does not work when 'Run (Unattended)' is clicked.

It doesn't work when it is run on a schedule either.

Using the test email settings button does send a test email though.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:41 am

otronics wrote:...when the profile is run manually, the email sends...

When you run the profile manually (not 'unattended'), are you prompted for the (email) password?

Conversely, when it apparently does not send the log ('run unattended' or 'scheduled'), is there any error message in the Result column afterwards? (You may need to drag the Result column wider to see the full contents)

otronics

Postby otronics » Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:59 am

Running the profile manually - it does not ask for a password.

No error in the 'Result' column. It says 'success'.

To clarify as well - it's not just the log that isn't sending - the email isn't being sent at all.

Thanks.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:02 am

Sorry, I'm out of ideas, unless there is some AV (or similar) on that machine which is silently trashing any attempt by an 'unauthorized' application (SB) to send emails the AV thinks may be spam. But, although I can think of a reason why this might happen only on a Scheduled run (the security context being more restricted as a 'batch job'...) I cannot see why you would also have a problem on a manual Run Unattended,because your security context is then exactly the same as the context of a manual Run (attended) - which you say works OK.

The only other thing I can say is that it more or less has to be something that is different on that problem PC (compared to the others), but what it might be, I can't tell from here. If I think of anything else, I'll post back, but for now I'm baffled.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Wed Oct 25, 2017 11:04 am

BTW re
otronics wrote:To clarify as well - it's not just the log that isn't sending - the email isn't being sent at all.

I assumed that was the case from the outset

otronics

Postby otronics » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:55 am

Some progress.

I have created a new profile which syncs just two folders.

I have run this several times (manually, scheduled etc) and the log emails fine.

otronics

Postby otronics » Sat Oct 28, 2017 11:57 am

I've done this just as a test.

Maybe something was wrong with the initial profile and maybe it was partially corrupt or something.

I've copied it to a new profile and I am testing as we speak.

otronics

Postby otronics » Sat Oct 28, 2017 2:35 pm

I think it's something to do with the size of the email being sent (ie/ the size of the log files).

Smaller size log files work OK, large ones do not appear to send.

I'm not sure why though.

I've disabled anti-virus and even the firewall to test this and it still doesn't work.

Will try a different SMTP server to see if that makes any difference.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Sat Oct 28, 2017 4:11 pm

Hi, it could be that the log for an Unattended (or Scheduled) 'live' run (that copies a normal workload, so log is larger) gets the problem, but manual/Attended test run soon afterwards (when you notice the missing email) finds less/nil to copy so the attachment to the email is much smaller and transmission succeeds.

It is not unknown for a mail server/service to silently discard a message with an attachment that exceeds some maximum size without returning an error to the sending client (SB in this case). Had there been an error message, SB would have quoted it in the Result column (SB has everything to gain by revealing the source of the problem - avoiding being blamed for not trying, for one thing). But if the mail server effectively lies by accepting the message without returning an error (then junks the message), not a lot SB can do. It may be a philosophy that anything above a certain size is spam, but returning an error would confirm the address is 'live'.

The Pro/SE/Lite models have an option to compress the attached log (also other options to potentially reduce the number of log entries in the first place), which may help, but these are not supported in SyncBackFree. You can install any copy of a commercial version (in parallel with Free if you want) for 30 days to test if it would help. Or maybe you can indeed successfully use a different mail server. Good luck!

otronics

Postby otronics » Tue Oct 31, 2017 1:35 am

This is an email service provider issue (I am 99%) sure.

More here if you are interested:

https://community.virginmedia.com/t5/Email/Emails-not-sending-with-certain-attachments/m-p/3564012/highlight/false#M151418

For some reason, some of the log files do not send, even when I attach them manually!

Strange, as it used to work, and still does on my other computer.

Return to “SyncBackFree (freeware)”