Detect network

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE/Lite.
simonbr
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Detect network

Postby simonbr » Thu Sep 14, 2017 6:19 pm

Hello, is there a way to detect if a laptop is at certain location and use this in the schedule decision? I have a synchronization profile to run every 60 minute, but I don't want to run it when I'm out of the office with my laptop. Is there another way to do this?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Detect network

Postby cliffhanger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:19 am

To clarify, why don't you want it to try and connect while out of office? Is it because it simply fails (but that failure is distracting/annoying)? Or is the issue that it doesn't fail outright, but connects in a way that you would rather it didn't (using something slow or expensive, e.g. VPN) ?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:23 am

PS suggest clarify the SB version you are using? All 15 of your previous posts are in the SyncBackPro section if the forum, and suddenly this post is in the SyncBackFree section.... suggest confirm version number (x.x.x.x) at same time, also Windows version details.

simonbr
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby simonbr » Fri Sep 15, 2017 5:47 pm

The reason is i wanted to have a log emailed on failure. Of course when the person is not at the office it will fail and email a failure notice.

This is for the free version V8.2.18.0.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Sat Sep 16, 2017 9:46 am

Hi, I'll take your answer as confirming it is the 'Failure email' (because SB cannot connect to the backup device) that you find irritating, and not that SB instead tries to use a connection you don't want it to use (for example, 'SB backs up instead over the connection it uses to email the Failure notice', which is slow/expensive). I take it from the fact that a Failure email is sent that the latter situation does not happen.

If the laptop were using the Pro (or SE) version of SB, there is an option called Silently Fail (where an attempt to run a profile fails because of 'unreachability' creates no error message / failed Result entry / Failure email or Failure log), but the Silently Fail options are not available in the Free version. So, it now depends on how the laptop connects to the backup device what your options are. If it connects to the backup device over the network (e.g. a server or NAS), there may be a way (providing MS haven't recently broken it with an Update or similar) via an option in the Windows Task Scheduler ('WTS' - which SB leverages to Schedule your profile - as follows...)

Open the WTS, navigate to the Task that controls your sync profile, and double-click it. Then click the Conditions tab, and set the bottom group on the tab (Network) to 'Start only if...' the Network connection it would normally use is available. If you have multiple Network connections, it would be up to you to figure out which one to check for availability; I'm assuming that if a Failure email is transmitted OK there must be a (different?) email connection it uses that still works, so you can't use the 'Any network connection' option, because there will be at least one that does work (the email connection), so WTS won't abort the Task.

Note: if you get a query about the Task's command-line syntax when you try to OK your way out of the Task, click No (as per option 8 here, which has more background about this WTS bug)

if the laptop doesn't connect to the backup device by network (e.g. it uses USB), I think you're out of luck unless you upgrade to SE or Pro for the Silently Fail options.

Return to “SyncBackFree (freeware)”