get back the previous data

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE/Lite.
diver1

get back the previous data

Postby diver1 » Thu Aug 24, 2017 12:53 pm

Hello,

I have been using SyncBack free with success for many years. But yesterday I made a huge mistake with the backup.

Usually, the data of my regular laptop are saved on my external drive (one way).
This external drive is only used for back up.
In April, I was forced to use a spare. So, for a few days, I used the spare by working directly on the external drive.
In April 26, when I got back my regular laptop, I changed the regular parameters of syncBack so to get back the data: data from external drive saved on regular laptop.
The issue is that yesterday, I made a new backup so to save the data of my regular computer,... but I forgot to change the parameters. Meaning, I saved again the data of my external drive on my computer.

Consequences : all the files of my regular laptop, which had been modified from April 26, up to now, have been replaced by the old versions dated before April 26. It is horrible ! Many important files are concerned !!

1) How can I get back the recent versions ? Is there any other solutions ?
2) How can I get the list of the files which have been replaced ?

Could you please help me

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: get back the previous data

Postby Swapna » Sat Aug 26, 2017 10:32 am

Hi,

How can I get back the recent versions? Is there any other solutions?

Sorry, but it’s not possible with SyncBackFree.

To avoid such situations in the future, you can consider using Versioning option supported in SyncBackPro/SE. This feature will create a version of a file before the file (at your Source/Destination) is replaced, deleted or moved and store the version files in a hidden folder within the scope of the profile's Source/Destination path. In case, you want to rollback your source/destination files, then you can easily do so from version files. Refer to this KB article for the step-by-step instructions to do this:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... sion-files

In addition, please read the Help file for more details about this option. With Versioning settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

How can I get the list of the files which have been replaced?

You can refer to the Log file (select the profile from the SyncBack, right click and select View Log) > ‘Copied, deleted, renamed, and changed’ section for the list of files copied during the last run.

Thank you

diver1

Re: get back the previous data

Postby diver1 » Mon Aug 28, 2017 8:14 am

Thank you Swapna for your detailed answer.

Return to “SyncBackFree (freeware)”