Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

SyncBackFree not prompting for new media

SyncBackFree is the freeware version of SyncBack. It is *not* an evaluation version of SyncBackPro/SE.
tbsmith

SyncBackFree not prompting for new media

Post by tbsmith »

Hi,

New user here. So far the software looks good, but when I try to backup a large folder to a DVD drive, when the DVD is full, the software does not prompt for a new disk. It just keeps trying to copy and accumulating errors. I am running a manual backup so under When > Periodically, "Run interactively, ie prompt me if required" is checked but grayed out.

Windows 7 OS

Thanks Tom
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: SyncBackFree not prompting for new media

Post by cliffhanger »

Hi, SyncBackFree does not support raw optical burning (to blank disks) - only SyncBackPro supports that (and then only if you are using Win7 native OS or Win7 compatibility mode in a later OS*). Here is a quote from the Help file in SyncBackFree

SyncBackSE and SyncBackFree can only backup to disks pre-formatted in the UDF format. They also do not support the automatic disk spanning feature. SyncBackPro does not require UDF, and supports automatic disk spanning [Note: the UDF-only limitation also applies to the more recent SyncBackLite]

I can only assume you are using disks pre-formatted as UDF, in which case - as the Help says - spanning is not supported.

Note: the 'CD/DVD Burner' settings page is not visible in Free/Lite/SE versions (because that functionality is not supported), but the relevant Help section is accessible in any SB version. Open the Help manually from the main GUI menu and do a Search for the twin terms

media prompt

without the 'Match similar Words' option and you should get 4 hits, of which 'CD/DVD Burner' should be one. The italic quote above is from paragraph 3 of that Help section

* last I heard, which was sometime pre-WIn10 launch; I don't use optical media for backups these days so haven't tested in my Win10
cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Post by cliffhanger »

To clarify a part-omission earlier
cliffhanger wrote:[Note: the UDF-only and no-spanning limitations also apply to the more recent SyncBackLite]
tbsmith

Post by tbsmith »

Thanks Cliffhanger. Yes, I was pre-formatting the DVD's as I did find that info in the help section, but missed the part about spanning not being supported in the free version.

I normally backup to an external hard drive, but I wanted to have a redundant backup of photos and such on archival optical disks. Oh well, guess I'll have to copy them manually.

Thanks again,
Tom