Disabled Profiles and Scheduling Issue

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
Atheron

Disabled Profiles and Scheduling Issue

Postby Atheron » Tue Jun 30, 2015 8:13 pm

Thanks to the team for getting my login working! :D

We purchased SyncBack Pro for 5 computers running Windows 7 and the SBS Service and Console, the service running on a server running SBS 2012. As the SyncBack admin, I set up the profiles for the other computers on my computer and then uploaded the profile to the service, using the Console to distribute the profile to the users on the 5 computers. I've run into two primary issues:

1. Since the profiles are on my computer, including their schedules, I realized I needed to disable the profiles so they didn't run on my computer. However, with them disabled, the console keeps reporting that the profiles are disabled, cluttering the history. Is there a way to keep the disabled profiles from showing on the console?

2. Since the profiles were created on my computer, I used a domain admin login to run the scheduled tasks. However, when I distribute the profile to the other users, two things happen.
a. The schedule does not distribute, even though I told the SBS Service to include the schedule.
b. The admin login I used is not running the schedules on the user computers. I realize this may be a Windows problem, but I thought I should still mention it.

How can I create a profile on my computer (as a SyncBack admin) so that SyncBack will upload, distribute and run properly on the other user computers?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Disabled Profiles and Scheduling Issue

Postby cliffhanger » Tue Jun 30, 2015 10:45 pm

Hi

1) 'Disabled' stops the profile running, but SB/the profile will record the fact something tried to run it, which will also trickle down to SBMS. 'Disable' doesn't stop anything 'external' trying, whether that's a shortcut to a profile, a batch file (etc) or a Scheduled Task. This topic has more details, especially 2nd-last post

2a) Scheduled Tasks with passwords (set 'to be stored') won't Import. This topic from SBMS forum section has more background.

2b) I read this as 'you are Exporting profiles to user(s) whose accounts are not the same username as the accompanying Task's admin-credentials'? Even if the Task would Import (meaning 'password not set to be stored in Task', so unlikely), Scheduled Tasks containing the credentials of the latter would likely not run the profile/s anyway, because profiles are by default user-specific (for security) and will be Imported/stored by default into a user-specific path 'inside' each target-user's Windows-profile. Running a Task with different credentials will run SB in the context of that different/admin user and try to load a profile from a path (using admin-user-name as a path-component) where that profile doesn't exist. You can change profile storage to 'common' but as the KB article explains, there are other aspects/caveats to watch out for. You could probably skip the 'Export & re-Import profile/s' steps (but don't skip the Delete!), as SBMS should re-broadcast the profile/s once 'not present' is detected. (You may want to stop the SBMS service in the meantime to stop it doing so unilaterally before you're ready...)

Bear in mind that if you can't broadcast a Scheduled Task to your standard users anyway (see 2a), what you are trying to achieve (common/all-purpose credentials in the Task?) may be moot anyway. You're likely to need to set up Schedule(d Task)s on the individual PCs anyway.

Atheron

Postby Atheron » Wed Jul 08, 2015 2:45 pm

Thank you, cliffhanger, for your prompt response. My apologies for not responding sooner as I have been out of the office quite a bit lately.

It sounds like I'll need to set up the profiles on the individual PCs themselves, then use the service to alert me when there's a problem. I was hoping to be able to push the profiles and schedules remotely, but it sounds like that won't work. How was the service designed to work? The manual clearly states that you can push profiles and schedules from the admin computer and distribute to the individual PCs on the network.

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Postby cliffhanger » Fri Jul 10, 2015 1:21 pm

You can 'broadcast' profiles to other Pro users fine - the issue is with any accompanying Scheduled Tasks and how they are configured as to whether they can be successfully Imported (they can be broadcast OK, the issue is with Importing).

Background (as far as I know) is as follows:

• an exported (by Windows, for copying by SBMS) Scheduled Task object* (XML file) does not contain any credentials
  • this is the object that is broadcast by SBMS, and Import into Pro will be attempted 'in the name of' the user/s to whom it was broadcast (that is, the target username will be injected during Task import process)
  • if the Task is configured not to need (storage of) the user's Windows password, the Task should then import fine as it needs no extra info
  • if the Task is configured to require internal storage of that user's Windows password (in order to run while logged-out and access network resources), then > > >
  • given that by definition the importing Task object does not contain any Windows-password info (more so, if broadcast to multiple users, it can't possibly know/contain all the passwords), then > > >
  • the Import process of a 'stored password' Task would need to pause and request each user to input their password - but > > >
  • given the distinct possibility the profile/Task Import might occur during a background run of Pro (for example, when Pro is triggered on an earlier/other Schedule), there's no mechanism to pause (read 'stall') the Task Import asking for a password, causing the background instance of Pro (likely running in session-0, so it can't be easily seen or closed) to remain open/frozen in mid-ask.
So, two** types of Schedule(d Task)s can be Imported, one type cannot. I agree adding clarification to the Help would probably be a good idea. Note that you could configure the Task (on your PC, pre-upload/broadcast) in 'password-less' mode, in which case it should Import fine on broadcast, but the profile's Schedule would then require local at-desk modification to 'store password' (at which point it will prompt for it). Either way (this, or creating Schedule from scratch locally) requires some at-desk mods, and presumably local-user input for Windows-password entry. Always assuming you need 'run while logged-off, with network access' from your profile (if not, there should be nil extra to do)

* Export a Task from the Scheduler's own UI and open resulting XML file in Notepad to see; author info is present but user info is not, and (if required by Task config) is prompted for during any re-import into the Scheduler. In an automated Task import by SB, the importing username is added automatically, but if password is required to be stored, SB would have to prompt for it, which in some situations is not feasible.

** there are three permutations of Task settings that govern password-storage-or-not; two do not need it, one does...

Atheron

Postby Atheron » Mon Jul 13, 2015 12:41 pm

Thank you, cliffhanger. That was very helpful and clarifying. It also helps that I can broadcast a profile without the schedule and I noticed that this does not overwrite the schedule on the user's end. So, once the schedule is set, I can manage most of profile remotely.

Thanks again.

Return to “SBM Service and Console”