Manage profiles for other systems

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
ercete
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Manage profiles for other systems

Postby ercete » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:14 am

Hello 2brightsparks,

I've acquired SyncbackPro & SMBS for 23 computer I'm managing.

I created a profile on my own SBProV6 client under WindowsVista, uploaded it on SBMS and bind it to every group/users I wanted to.

Some computers are under different systems (XP/W7/W8) and "Files and Folders" may change from one to another.

How can I create a profile, and correctly set "Files and Folders" for another system ? Am I forced to run a SBProV6 client under the destination system ?

Regards

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Manage profiles for other systems

Postby Dave Wilkins » Mon Nov 25, 2013 9:31 am

You'd need to either leverage Variables to evaluate to the appropriate Windows-version-specific paths (to achieve 'one profile fits all versions of Windows'), or make separate profiles for each version of Windows, separate groups in SBMS accordingly, and broadcast 'suitable' profile/s to 'appropriate' users c/o which Group they (and the appropriate profile) are in.

Check out Help > Search > 'variables' (without the quotes) > top hit for a full list of Variables

Bear in mind that some can only be used at/after a certain stage or with certain profile types - as shown

I'd guess you would be particularly interested in those listed under Drives, Files & Folders (and maybe those listed under Registry)

Note that we don't offer a bespoke profile design service ;)

ercete
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby ercete » Mon Nov 25, 2013 10:41 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your help, I think I was affected by the "one profile to rule'em all" disease.

Using variables is only possible in the Source/Destination field.
As I was doing an excessive use of the "Choose Files and folders" button, I was forced to browse my own client file system.

The best way to do it is to create a profile for each system-specific folder that may change from a system to another (eg AppData, WindowsRoot, ...)

Am I correct ?

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Dave Wilkins » Mon Nov 25, 2013 12:24 pm

Ah, got you (I was a little confused as we don't have a function called Files & Folders - at least, not in English - it's 'Choose Subdirectories & Files'. Hence I took it as a general descriptive phrase, not as a function/caption).

Yes, those de/selections are relative to the Source/Dest paths, so if you use them, you'd need to be very sure they applied to any variation in file-sets between versions of Windows (if you also used Variables). You almost certainly can't use them to point at what you want by starting with a Source = C:\ :)

You could certainly make separate profiles for separate jobs (and for separate versions of Windows), but as I said, we can't furnish a profile design service, we can only point out the options (functions) open to you.

Of course, if you 'normalised' every client PC to use the same OS version... [-o<

ercete
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby ercete » Tue Nov 26, 2013 12:34 pm

Dave Wilkins wrote:Of course, if you 'normalised' every client PC to use the same OS version... [-o<

Dreams often comes true !

Anyway, as I'm using log as mails, using multiple profiles implies multiple mail. I think I'd rather connect from every system and create specific profiles from there. Forcing me stand up from my chair (unacceptable!)

Thanks for your help, now let's resolve this "access denied" problem :twisted:

Au revoir !

Return to “SBM Service and Console”