Report engine capability?

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
MonkeyEdit2000

Report engine capability?

Postby MonkeyEdit2000 » Fri May 17, 2013 7:03 pm

Hi, I read in a previous response (i.e. from July 2012) that there was some thought being put into a report engine for the service/console. I am wondering if/when that might come to fruition? Some basic reports I can imagine are (1) how often profiles are being run and (2) success rates of profiles. I can think of many others, but these are most interesting currently. Some additional fields in the history would also be useful, like (1) path of the source and (2) path of the destination for each profile.

Right now, I have to export out the history, and then read it into another program to then create my own reports. Is there an easier way to connect to the .db file so I don't have to do the export?

Obviously, the service and console are in beta - and I assume you guys are focused on getting all of the kinks worked out. Once it were available for commercial purchase, I think that having the ability to create reports directly from the console would be very beneficial, and might lessen the likelihood of somebody looking at other vendors who may already offer reporting capability.

I appreciate your input as well as responses from other users, who may be in a similar boat.

Thanks! :)

mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Report engine capability?

Postby mickyj » Sat May 18, 2013 2:44 am

Hi, ideally we'd want to use a report engine so that people can design their own reports. However, this is tricky as the report engine would need to run on the server, meaning it's difficult for the client to connect to it (as it should really be going via the SBM Server). That means we'd need an interface on the server between the client and the report engine.

All the database files are SQLite, so if your program can import from an SQLite database file then it may be easier for you than exporting to an intermediate file and then re-importing.

MonkeyEdit2000

Postby MonkeyEdit2000 » Mon May 20, 2013 8:23 pm

Making it so a SyncBack 'admin' could generate reports seems like a great idea. And I don't see why this couldn't happen server-side via a reporting tool/interface (the ability to generate reports doesn't have to reside in the SBM console). Could the report engine reside on the same server as the SBM service?

I've got the SBM service setup on a server, and have had over 90 users connecting to the service for almost a year now. The SBM console seems to be working well also.

If an admin were able to generate reports (save them for reusing again), and then export the reports (i.e. to CSV, XLS, PDF, etc.) for viewing by others, then it seems like SBM would be complete, from a management standpoint.

Thanks for the tips on the database files, I will attempt to load the SQLite driver and connect to the files that way.

Thanks!

mickyj
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby mickyj » Tue May 21, 2013 2:22 am

Hi, ideally we'd want to allow reports to be created and retrieved from anywhere via the SBM Console. So the reporting engine would be on the server but accessed remotely via the console. Restricting it to just be created on the server would be too restrictive. We're looking at a possible solution, but it's early days. If all else fails I guess we'll just need a simpler and more automated way to export data via the console so you can use a 3rd party reporting system.

Return to “SBM Service and Console”