Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Feature request - Copy hard links as-is

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
gdeane

Feature request - Copy hard links as-is

Post by gdeane »

I'm using SynBackSE 6.2.15.0 on Windows 7 Home (64 bit).

I've had it confirmed that SynBackSE doesn't support copying hard links as hard links and that it is unlikely to do so in the near future.

So I figured I'd post here to make an 'official' request for that feature to be supported and also so that other users are at least aware of this limitation.

On my OS, the system uses a total of 8.8GB of hard linked files. Of that, only 4.3GB is data. Therefore, if the OS is copied by SyncbackSE to a fresh destination, an additional 4.5GB is copied as file data rather than as hard links. Not only wasteful of the time spent copying but also of disk space. It also means that the destination is not really a "true" copy of the source.

But a great product otherwise.
Garry
vannus

Re: Feature request - Copy hard links as-is

Post by vannus »

+1

Directory symlinks are very handy for relocating MySQL\Data & Apache\htdocs directories or subdirectories.

Means I will have to manually recreate all my directory symlinks if I ever need to restore. I have around 286 of them.

- V