Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Compression of source folders into single files

An area of the forum to post ideas for new products or discuss things that are not related to 2BrightSparks products
Alex red

Compression of source folders into single files

Post by Alex red »

Hello,

I am using SyncBackPro for years now, and I have to say, it's the best to perform remote backups on FTP's, and even crypting them....
Now, my problem is that most of the times I have some valuable data to save ( code sources ), ad they are all copied as compressed/encrypted on the backup FTP...
The real problem is the data organization, as each project folder I save, it has a lot of subfolders, and, for each processor type I develop code, it has a lot of subfolder projects...
Impossible to make a single zip file for the root folder, but even impossible to make a single zipping profile for each project, as a new profile should be created each time I create a new project or project variation... Hard to keep track of such a messy amount of data...

So, an idea bugged out into my mind...

Why not making an option to create a way to compress just a single folder into a single file...?
I mean, lets say that we have a folders tree, if should be replicated on the destination FTP exactly as on the source, and into such a tree, following the source path, all the files from same source folder are zipped toghether and stored in the corresponding path in the destination FTP, would be nice to have an option to include subfolders eventually ...
Of course, a little file with the relevant data of the zipped folder should be also be stored into destination folder, so that SBP shoud not open each zipped file to make file comparisons during a profile scanning process, but will use it...

This would slow down the backup process for sure, but, in case I am in a site where I have not SBP available, or my backups executing PC has gone dead and I have notime to restore a running copy of SBP, it would be easier and faster to recover a full project/folder manually by command line, as this kind of compression organization would let me to recover whole folders in a single unzip command, and not like now running a huge amount of zip instances to uncompress each single file...It would make also the Restore feature of zipped files by SBP faster...

Well....that's all...

...thanks for watching.

Regards

Alex