Using FindOnClick to search for a directory (not a file!)

DeleteOnClick, EncryptOnClick, FindOnClick, HashOnClick, PatchOnClick, ScrambleOnClick, UndeleteOnClick
TimSpokane

Using FindOnClick to search for a directory (not a file!)

Postby TimSpokane » Thu Sep 18, 2008 8:53 pm

I am cleaning out an old database archive and want to use FindOnClick to locate multiple copies of a directory so that I can delete them. But I can't find a way to specify a directory by name. When I put a directory name in the search field, I get numerous file types (.exe,.doc,.txt, etc...) that include the name string, but not the directories themselves.

Any suggestions on locating these different directories? (and not the hundreds of similarly named files?)

Thanks!

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Dave Wilkins » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:16 pm

Hi

You can use the Path Filter to specify parts of a path that must be included. For example I just added

\2BrightSparks\FindOnClick\

to it and it found all the folders inside which those parts of a path (that combination of cascaded folders) were present. But it does list all the files in them as well (not just the folders) because that's what it does for a living :) . If there was a way to tell it not to find any files at all, it wouldn't display the folders either (because they wouldn't contain any files that match the no-files mask, if there was one)

You can set the Results pane to show a Path coumn (Options > Columns), which can be moved around at will (first column <> last column), which may aid your eyeballing

TimSpokane

You didn't understand my question?

Postby TimSpokane » Fri Sep 19, 2008 5:45 am

My summarized question at the bottom of my first post: "Any suggestions on locating these different directories? (and not the hundreds of similarly named files?)"

So how is: "use the Path Filter to specify parts of a path that must be included" supposed to help me?

ALL of the Findonclick customers use the program to find the files so they DON'T have to locate individual paths to each file!!!!!

Your response to my question makes less than zero sense to me.

I don't know how to make this any simpler or clearer: I am trying to find an efficient way to locate all the directories with the same name in a large archive. I am NOT trying to locate files. Is there any way to use FindOnClick (or any of the other OnClick utilities) to locate the seperate directories?

After finding all the duplicate DIRECTORIES, I plan to delete the extras.

If there is no feature in FindOnClick, then just say so. I have been using the Windows Search tool, but it is extremely slow. (Which is of course the reason I purchased FindOnClick in the first place.)

Thank you in advance for a useful response.

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Dave Wilkins » Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:37 pm

No. Sorry, I was trying to help. Rest assured I won't make the same mistake again.

TheVoyager

Re: Using FindOnClick to search for a directory (not a file!

Postby TheVoyager » Sat Sep 20, 2008 7:01 pm

TimSpokane wrote:I am cleaning out an old database archive and want to use FindOnClick to locate multiple copies of a directory so that I can delete them. But I can't find a way to specify a directory by name. When I put a directory name in the search field, I get numerous file types (.exe,.doc,.txt, etc...) that include the name string, but not the directories themselves.

Any suggestions on locating these different directories? (and not the hundreds of similarly named files?)

Thanks!

No help to this program BUT you could try using Agent Ransack which is quicker than Search in Explorer, it does exactly the same as Explorer so will find all files and directories with said name, then just pess delete to delete them, I use it all the time, and it's free.

http://www.mythicsoft.com/agentransack/ ... e=download

spuds

Postby spuds » Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:15 am

I thought it should have worked with the expert search, attributes tab check "do not show files"

Turns out it doesn't. I have several download folders (called download). Searching on down with the do not show files gives me nothing.

Then I tried blanks in the search for (to find all) and still it found nothing.

I used V2.0.1.14 to try this.

mrjohnpwalker

Postby mrjohnpwalker » Sat Sep 05, 2009 11:56 pm

Hi, All!

I surely don't want to reopen an old wound, but I am also one who could really use the ability to find directories/folders. (In part, I'd be using the feature to maintain some of the $SBV$ versioning folders generated by my SyncBackPro.) I am currently using another program to do this, but would very much like to stick with FOC, which I love!

What would it take to talk you (the developers) into implementing this? Or, if it indeed has been added since the latest post in this thread, prior to mine, would someone please tell me how to do it? I've checked the doc's, and the knowledgebase, but couldn't find it.

Most gratefully:

John Walker

spuds

search folders

Postby spuds » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:10 am

For NTFS volumes try SearchEverything at http://www.voidtools.com. Check out the "search path " under the Search top line menu. It also understands regular expressions.

It is lightening fast and narrows the search results as you type. It uses the indexes already built into NTFS. I gave up on FOC because nothing has been done in a long time.

There is a new release of Everything coming out soon with lots of updates.

I hope this helps you with your search efforts.

mrjohnpwalker

Postby mrjohnpwalker » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:26 am

Thanks. I'll check it out.

fredradford
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re:

Postby fredradford » Fri Apr 11, 2014 9:23 pm

spuds wrote:I thought it should have worked with the expert search, attributes tab check "do not show files"

Turns out it doesn't.

I have verified that in 2.5.0.0 the "Do not show files" option produces zero results.

What is it supposed to do?

fredradford
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Re:

Postby fredradford » Fri Apr 11, 2014 11:28 pm

spuds wrote:I thought it should have worked with the expert search, attributes tab check "do not show files"

Turns out it doesn't. I have several download folders (called download). Searching on down with the do not show files gives me nothing.

Then I tried blanks in the search for (to find all) and still it found nothing.

I used V2.0.1.14 to try this.

Spuds, it is not clear from the docs, but the Filename Filter and "do not show files" checkbox are not compatible.
If you specify one, you can't specify the other, or you will get zero results.

To find just directory names, you use populate the Path Filter and leave Filename Filter blank. Then check "do not show files".

You will then get a list of the directories that match the Path Filter.

Return to “OnClick Utilities”