Opening old version files

DeleteOnClick, EncryptOnClick, FindOnClick, HashOnClick, PatchOnClick, ScrambleOnClick, UndeleteOnClick
Indy

Opening old version files

Postby Indy » Tue Nov 03, 2015 5:14 pm

Hi I have been using an older version of encrypt onclick on a XP machine. The PC is acting goofy so I copied files onto a thumbdrive. After I did this I realized without my Xp I might not be able to open them up later. I still have the old version setup backed up so I could put on another Xp but the chances of finding another Xp pc is very unlikely.

So will these files that been encrypted with an older version be able to be opened on a new pc with your new version of software. I am assuming that the older version I am using will not be able to work on a windows 10 machine. Or could it?

If not any suggestions how to open these files up later?

thanks for any help
Indy

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Opening old version files

Postby cliffhanger » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:14 pm

Hi, there should be no issues at all decrypting with EOC, or indeed any compression/encryption utility that can deal with 256-bit AES encryption (for example, recent versions of WinZip, 7Zip...), regardless of Windows version. EOC files are simply renamed* FileName.Ext.zip files. As stated in the installable OnClick Help

Files can be opened and decrypted using WinZip 9 and newer (provided the correct password is used).

* Renaming final extension suffix (that is to say, using .eoc instead of .zip) associates ("Open With", etc) .EOC files in Windows with EncryptOnClick, so that decryption can be invoked purely by double-clicking (etc) .EOC files, while being confident that the utility** that Windows invokes can actually handle the encryption level without giving errors that may cause 'user panic'. (Obviously you need to install EOC first on any new machine for the 'association' part to work.)

** if you had no compression utility installed, and the extension was .zip, Windows would try to open it itself (and fail, because of the high encryption level). This was certainly the case with XP and AFAICS is still the case with Win10 (Windows itself cannot decrypt such files)

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Opening old version files

Postby cliffhanger » Tue Nov 03, 2015 11:34 pm

cliffhanger wrote:...associates ("Open With", etc) .EOC files in Windows with EncryptOnClick...[etc]

More appropriately, 'Open' (i.e. by default/as-per double-clicking; 'Open With' is of course for suggesting/using alternatives, if any found)

Return to “OnClick Utilities”