findonclick search pdf files?

DeleteOnClick, EncryptOnClick, FindOnClick, HashOnClick, PatchOnClick, ScrambleOnClick, UndeleteOnClick
wardl

findonclick search pdf files?

Postby wardl » Thu Mar 27, 2014 6:32 pm

Just did a test of a folder full of pdf's that I ocr'ed and FOC could not find anything.
Did I do something wrong? Would it be that difficult to add pdf support (I found some interest in a search of this forum from many years ago)

What can you recommend to search in PDF files on a network drive and it would be very nice if an index could be built as we are creating a document library and will eventually have 10's of thousands of documents.

Thanks
Ward

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: findonclick search pdf files?

Postby Dave Wilkins » Fri Mar 28, 2014 11:41 am

Hi, I assume you mean 'search for content'?

No that won't work for PDFs. Try using Open With > Notepad on a PDF to see why not. We only search for normally formatted text (that you could recognize by eye using the Notepad method). The latest FOC can optionally search for various character-set encoding, but not the sort of encoding/compression PDFs use. Same applies for .docx files from Word, too (they're compressed in some way). Searching content of old-style .doc files might work if 'raw' text is stored inside (and not muddied by formatting info), but not files that encode their content.

We've no plans to add this as far as I know (too many possible variations on a theme, for one thing), and we don't recommend 3rd-party software.

Other users are welcome to suggest stuff they didn't write. Posts from other companies with handy links to their own products may be treated as spam...

wardl

Re: findonclick search pdf files?

Postby wardl » Fri Mar 28, 2014 3:30 pm

Thanks Dave, I suspected the answer you gave but figured I'd try anyway as FOC is the fastest non-indexed search I have ever used and would have been very nice if it worked.

They're trying to create a poor mans doc-mgt system so any PC could find a document on a NW drive quickly. Using Acrobat or other 'real time' searchs on these files is prohibitively slow and unusable.

Ward

Return to “OnClick Utilities”