Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Delete a file in a Container

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
CaptainBlighNY

Delete a file in a Container

Post by CaptainBlighNY »

I created a fixed size SyncbackSE container on a 256GB flash drive. My goal was to create an encrypted container to contain backup documents when traveling. I made the size 100GB fixed. Took more than 2-hours to create/format. Did a test and synced some files to the container. I was able to mount and unmount. I could read the encrypted files on my laptop from the container without needing SyncbaclSE. It worked as expected.
Now my question.

The container is mounted Read Only (by default.) I want to delete the files I had SynbackSE backup to the container. I cannot find a way to delete the files contained within the container. I really DO NOT want to reformat the container - it took over 2-hours to create.
So, how do I (quick) format the container or delete the files in the container.

Thank you
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Re: Delete a file in a Container

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

'Mount SyncBack Container' utility mounts a SyncBack container in read only mode, hence its not possible to delete files/folders using that utility.

1. One possible workaround is to create a new profile (housekeeping profile) in SyncBack with Source pointing to an empty (dummy) folder (created for this purpose, and ensured kept empty, e.g. C:\KeepThisEmpty\), and configure the Destination path to point to the SyncBack Container from which you want to delete files/folders.

2. Then set the profile type as Mirror Right for this housekeeping profile (so that it deletes files/folders from the Profile's Destination that are not present in its Source).

3. Next manually select the folders/files that you want to delete from the container under:

Modify profile > Simple > Choose sub-directories and files settings page

Note: SyncBack (by default) displays files/folders only on source. If you want to force the tree to display files and folders in both the source/left and destination/right then hold down the Ctrl or Shift keys when you click the Choose sub-directories and files button.

and run the profile to delete those selected folders from destination.

Bear in mind if you wrongly select any file/folder from 'Choose sub-directories and files' settings page, then running such a housekeeping profile will delete those files/folders without mercy! Remember you use such a profile/scheme at your own risk. Test first with data that you can afford to lose. Perform simulated runs and check the Differences Window for the list of files/folders that will be deleted in the actual run.

Thank you
CaptainBlighNY

Post by CaptainBlighNY »

I thought that the solution was perfect, but no good.
I created a housekeeping profile as you suggested. I mounted the Syncback container.
When I ran it I got error message:
Directory on Destination cannot be deleted: The media is write protected.
Failed to delete from Destination : Cannot delete file (19): The media is write protected

What I tried to do is temporarily turn off write protection. I could not use Windows/Properties so I tried
using a command prompt and the ATTRIB command -S -R etc. But nothing worked.

I will pick this project up tomorrow. I will try any suggestions you have.
Thanks
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

We have answered via your parallel support ticket.

Thank you