Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

How to delete SBSE__.xxx files and unlock Read Only files...

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
chugbug

How to delete SBSE__.xxx files and unlock Read Only files...

Post by chugbug »

Hello,

I have an issue with some files that won't backup because they're locked. There are only 16 files, with a combined size of only 43MB (54MB size on disk) in the folder. But then in that same folder, there are 715 "SBSE___.xxx files that have a combined size of 1.88GB (2.35GB size on disk). All the files (mine and the SBSE files) are labeled READ ONLY, and I can't unlock them.

I wasn't familiar with the SBSE files, but after some research I found that they're SyncBackSE temp files. The information I found also said that they were safe to remove. But I can't delete the files, or change the READ ONLY status (on either my files OR the SBSE files). When I try to change the status of the files, the computer goes through the motions, but when it's finished and I check the files, they're still flagged as READ ONLY. I've tried both doing a BATCH change using the folder properties, as well as trying to change them individually. The same thing happens. Windows goes through the motions, but they're still locked.

I'm using SyncBackSE version 7.3.3.6 on a Windows XP pc (using it as a server), and I'm running the backups to a Western Digital (WD) 4TB ELEMENTS drive connected via USB to my Router (Netgear NightHawk R7500). I first tried changing the file status and deleting the SBSE files from that Windows XP pc, but it wouldn't let me (denying access). So I used my laptop that's running Windows 10. But as I said, Windows 10 goes through the motions, but nothing is changed.

Apparently the READ ONLY issue started when it ran the first or one of the first backups to the WD drive (I purchased the drive around Thanksgiving 2017, and the SBSE files are dated mid December (2017). I'm backing up FIVE individual drives (partitions). Two of them backup sucessfully, but the other three always fail with similar issues (Read Only). I went through the drive with the SBSE files and removed the READ ONLY status on all the files but the ones in the folder with the SBSE files (listed above).

In my research I also found that I may need to change the permissions in the WD drive. I looked into that-- The drive's permission is set to SPECIAL PERMISSIONS, which was suggested to change, but when I click the ADVANCED tab and then select EVERYONE, then EDIT, it already has all the boxes checked (for full control, modify, read/execute, list folder controls, read, write).

So my questions is: a) how can I delete the SBSE files; b) how can I unlock the Read Only file?

Thanks in advance for the help!

JEB
chugbug

Re: How to delete SBSE__.xxx files and unlock Read Only files...

Post by chugbug »

Hello. After some additional investigating, I wanted to add some additional information to my original post...

After reviewing the other source drives (partitions) that are being backed up to the same destination drive, I found those backups were failing for the same reason. And I found that the destination drive now contains hundreds of files marked that have been marked as READ ONLY, and for each one of those files there are SEVENTEEN (17) SBSE___.xxx files. And those SBE file are taking up HUNDREDS of GB's of drive space!! It looks like SyncBackSE is adding another SBSE file every time it tries to runs a backup.

All attempts to unlock the files have failed. The same happens with the rest of the drives as I explained above. Windows goes through the motions of unlocking the files, but when I look in the file properties, they're all still locked (Read Only).

One thing I didn't mention in the original post is that I'm backing up these (source) files to TWO DIFFERENT (destination) locations, and the second set of backups are running just fine with no issues. However those backups are going to another drive on the server.

CAUSE... After spending some time trying to unlock the files on the WD Elements drive, I think the issue was caused by THAT DRIVE. I had several instances where the connection would just drop off. At first I thought it was the WIFI from my laptop, but it happened several times again after I connected the laptop with a CAT cable. After doing some research, it seems that's an issue with WD's backup drives (seems there is an issue with many of them that start to fail just a few months after they go into service!).

Based on this observation, I think I can say I'm 99.9% sure the ORIGINAL CAUSE of the lock files wasn't due to SyncBackSE. HOWEVER, since not all the files on the WD Elements drive (the destination drive) weren't locked, I don't think they were locked by the Drive as I first though. So I think I can say I'm 99.9% sure now that the locked files WERE CAUSED BY SyncBackSE.

But I'm not concerned with who to blame, just how it was caused and how I can fix it. So now I'm only interested in how I can unlock MY files and get rid of all the temporary SBSE files. Since they're locked, I can't delete them. So does 2BrightSparks have any kind of utility that can go through and delete them? They're taking up a very (very very very) large amount of my backup drives storage. So just leaving them definately isn't an option.

I thought about just deleting the backup PROFILES in SyncBackSE. Maybe then SyncBackSE would release the lock on the files? Or is the damage already done and their's nothing I can do in SyncBackSE to unlock them??

After researching, I also found that I'm not the first one to have had this problem. So how have others fixed it? I'm sure there's someone out there that knows how. RIGHT??

Still waiting for help...JEB
Swapna
Expert
Expert

Post by Swapna »

Hi,

Can you please disable the profile/s (select the profile from SyncBackSE main-window > right click and select Disable from the pop-up menu), exit SyncBackSE, reboot your computer and try deleting those SBSE___.XXX files manually from destination to see if it works?

Thank you
Sneff

Post by Sneff »

Hi Swapna

Your method works.

Thank you