*.db-wal *.db-shm errors, v 8.2.18.0

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
Auke

*.db-wal *.db-shm errors, v 8.2.18.0

Postby Auke » Mon Aug 28, 2017 2:44 am

Just installed v8.2.18.0 over older version and made my usual 'mirror' exercise but am getting 2 errors relating to files of SyncbackSE. Errors relate to *.db-wal and *.db-shm. Not seen these errors before and am not saying it is related to v8.2.18.0. Has anyone got a tip to try?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: *.db-wal *.db-shm errors, v 8.2.18.0

Postby Swapna » Mon Aug 28, 2017 6:35 am

Hi,

The two files *.db-shm and *.db-wal are created by SyncBackSE V8.2.18.0 to fix ‘SQLite3 Error 5’ with selections DB. You can refer to SyncBackSE change history here:

https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/changes.html

Since those 2 temporary files are present during the scan phase and deleted before the copy phase, the profile may fail with “The system cannot find the file specified” error. To resolve this error, you can add exclusion filters (*\*.db-shm and *\*.db-wal) to Modify > Simple > Change Filter settings page to exclude those 2 files from your backup selections.

Thank you.

Willyv

Postby Willyv » Tue Aug 29, 2017 7:16 pm

Same error here. Of course what you suggest will work and is OK as a temporary workaround. But surely SyncBack setting up a situation where it trips over itself must be a bug? I hope it will soon be fixed as having to remember these very obscure exceptions is not very user friendly.

Willy

Auke

Postby Auke » Wed Aug 30, 2017 12:01 am

Thank you Swapna. After including those two files in the filter I got a message (the caps are not mine):
Folder \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
Should now be INCLUDED die to the change in filter settings. Would you like it to be INCLUDED or not?
| Abort | No to All | Yes to All | YES | NO |
Unquote
I selected NO (just to do something). New to this all I am flying blind. I also got the same message for 'Thunderbird' and for 'desktop.ini' - for both I also selected NO. Any advice is appreciated. Should I undo things? Thanks

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Wed Aug 30, 2017 1:59 am

Hi Auke,

Can you please export and send your profile configuration to support@2BrightSparks.com for further investigation.

Thank you

Willyv

Postby Willyv » Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:06 am

Auke wrote:Thank you Swapna. After including those two files in the filter I got a message (the caps are not mine):
Folder \Application Data\Mozilla\Firefox\
Should now be INCLUDED die to the change in filter settings. Would you like it to be INCLUDED or not?
| Abort | No to All | Yes to All | YES | NO |
Unquote

Again I experienced the same thing. Adding two new exclusion filters (which should do nothing more than exclude the specified files?) seemed to upset the already existing filters. As I had seen this earlier in other contexts I didn't get upset myself :-) but maybe there's a bug in this area as well?

Please get in touch if it is useful to receive my profile config as well.

Willy

Auke

Postby Auke » Thu Aug 31, 2017 4:34 am

Hi Swapna: I have emailed you the Export Profile associated with the mirror drive I am using and first one to try with the newest SE product. I have 2 other drives I am using to mirror to. The filters of these are still unmodified as for *.db-wal and *.db-shm. Yes, I am using 3 drives for maximum security against drive failures.

Return to “SyncBackSE (commercial)”