SyncBackSE to replace Windows Briefcase?

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
tquinn

SyncBackSE to replace Windows Briefcase?

Postby tquinn » Fri Jul 28, 2017 9:38 pm

If you haven't heard, Microsoft just did a major update to Windows 10, adding some features, but also removing some.

One feature removed was the Windows Briefcase. Here is the functionality of that feature:

A. Copy files from Computer 1 into a Windows Briefcase located on a jump drive.
B. Plug that jump drive into another Computer 2
C. Open the Briefcase on Computer 2 and work on the files using Computer 2.
D. Close the Briefcase, remove it from Computer 2, and plug the jump drive back into Computer 1.
E. Perform an "update" function on the Briefcase. This puts the files modified on Computer 2 back onto Computer 1, in the original locations, replacing the original version of the file.
F. It also puts files on Computer 1 that were modified in the interim, so that the modified files go back in the Briefcase n the jump drive.
G. If files are modified on both computers before the update, Windows alerts the user that both have changed so you can work that, or allows you to force one file to overwrite the other.

Can SyncBackSE achieve that or similar functionality?

Terry

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: SyncBackSE to replace Windows Briefcase?

Postby Swapna » Mon Jul 31, 2017 3:42 am

Hi,

You can achieve this by creating Intelligent Synchronization profile/s in SyncBackSE (which is a two-way synchronization process, A-to-B and B-to-A). Can you please submit a support ticket to support@2BrightSparks.com, so that we can provide detailed instructions and important points to consider when creating a multi-way sync profiles.

Thank you.

tquinn

Postby tquinn » Mon Jul 31, 2017 12:33 pm

Swapna,

Based on the email information that you sent to me, I downloaded SyncBackLite (I'm only doing this on two devices). I was able to try it out as a substitute for Windows Briefcase. So far it is working for that purpose.

When I looked at the product comparison at https://www.2brightsparks.com/syncback/compare.html, the only feature I saw in the SE version compared to Lite that I might have need for was "64 bit version available." Since I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64, can you tell me what benefit would I see in going from Lite to 64?

Thanks for your assistance.

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Tue Aug 01, 2017 3:01 am

Hi,

SyncBackLite is a 32-bit version, so it can only utilize 2GB of memory regardless of the amount of memory your system has. However, 64-bit version of SE/Pro can use all available memory on your system, which will be very useful when backing-up large system volumes (and avoids out-of-memory problems). In addition, SyncBackSE supports several other features when compared to Lite version, e.g. Fast Backup, Versioning, Real time sync etc.,

If you wish you can evaluate both SyncBackLite and SE (for 30-days which we offer as a free evaluation period) and purchase the product that is best suitable for your requirement.

Thank you.

tquinn

Postby tquinn » Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:23 pm

Swapna,

I like the idea of trying out SyncBackSE. Questions:

Can I install SyncBackSE without having to uninstall SyncBackLite? In other words, can both programs be installed on the same computer without interfering with each other?

Assuming the answer to that is "yes," then . . .

I've already created four profiles under SyncBackLite. Will those profiles show up under SyncBackSE? If not, is there a way for me to copy them over to SyncBackSE, so I don't have to rebuild them? That would allow me to use both "in production," to see if I can see any benefits from using SE.

Terry

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:09 am

Hi,

Can I install SyncBackSE without having to uninstall SyncBackLite?

Yes, SyncBackSE & SyncBackLite can be installed in parallel with each other for cross-evaluation. Do not install the two different versions to the same folder (use the default installation folder).

I've already created four profiles under SyncBackLite. Will those profiles show up under SyncBackSE?

When SyncBackSE is first run, it will auto-import all your profiles and settings from SyncBackLite. If not, you can manually import them from Profiles menu. Please read this KB article for more details on importing profiles:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... to-another

However, the schedule tasks will not be imported from SyncBackLite, you must manually recreate the schedules in SyncBackSE.

Thank you.

tquinn

Postby tquinn » Mon Aug 07, 2017 12:36 am

Can I install SyncBackSE without having to uninstall SyncBackLite?

Yes, SyncBackSE & SyncBackLite can be installed in parallel with each other for cross-evaluation. Do not install the two different versions to the same folder (use the default installation folder).

I've already created four profiles under SyncBackLite. Will those profiles show up under SyncBackSE?

When SyncBackSE is first run, it will auto-import all your profiles and settings from SyncBackLite. If not, you can manually import them from Profiles menu. Please read this KB article for more details on importing profiles:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowle ... to-another

However, the schedule tasks will not be imported from SyncBackLite, you must manually recreate the schedules in SyncBackSE.

Thank you.

I just installed SyncBackSe (leaving SyncBackLite installed). I got this error message:

"Warning (SyncBackSE V8.2.11.0)
Please note that the schedules for your SyncBackLite profiles have not been imported. You must manually recreate the schedules for your SyncBackSE profiles and remove the old SyncBackLite schedules. Also, background backups have been disabled so that you can review your profiles before they are run automatically. You can re-enable background backups in the Preferences menu.

[OK]"

It seems that the SyncBackSE imported the profiles, but there must not be any memory of what has been done in the past (at least as SyncBackSE believes), because in the simulation run with SE, it was set up to totally re-copy everything to the target drive.

This will make it difficult to evaluate the two products as every time I do something, it seems like the other version of SyncBack is going treat the target as something new.

Can you think of any way around that so that I can compare performance?

One thing I've noticed with SyncBackLite is that when I make a change on the source file folders, and then do a synchronize, instead of immediately be set up to copu the source files to the target forder, it instead comes up with a "conflict," shows a question mark, and requires me to change the action to copy the file to the target. This can be pretty tedius if a large number of filea have to be copied over.

Do you see any reason why SyncBackSE might handle that situation better than SyncBackLite does?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Mon Aug 07, 2017 1:18 am

Hi,

It seems that the SyncBackSE imported the profiles, but there must not be any memory of what has been done in the past (at least as SyncBackSE believes), because in the simulation run with SE, it was set up to totally re-copy everything to the target drive.

Can you please export and send the profile in-question to support@2BrightSparks.com for assistance.

One thing I've noticed with SyncBackLite is that when I make a change on the source file folders, and then do a synchronize, instead of immediately be set up to copu the source files to the target forder, it instead comes up with a "conflict," shows a question mark, and requires me to change the action to copy the file to the target. This can be pretty tedius if a large number of filea have to be copied over.

Please send your SyncBackLite profile and a screen shot of the Differences Window (showing the conflict) to support@2BrightSparks.com for investigation.

Thank you.

tquinn

Postby tquinn » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:10 am

Please send your SyncBackLite profile and a screen shot of the Differences Window (showing the conflict) to support@2BrightSparks.com for investigation.

Thank you.

Sending the screen shot will be easy.

But just looking around in the folder were profiles are stored, it looks like there could be at least 12 files for each profile in that folder. Do you want all of these files back as a "profile"?

tq

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Mon Aug 07, 2017 2:37 am

Hi,

To export a profile:

Select the profile from SyncBackSE's main-interface > right click on the profile > select Export Profile from the pop-up menu (this will export the profile as .sps file) > save the .sps file and send it to support@2BrightSparks.com for investigation.

Thank you.

tquinn

Postby tquinn » Mon Aug 07, 2017 11:54 am

Hi,

To export a profile:

Select the profile from SyncBackSE's main-interface > right click on the profile > select Export Profile from the pop-up menu (this will export the profile as .sps file) > save the .sps file and send it to support@2BrightSparks.com for investigation.

Thank you.

Okay, I will do that, but starting today, I am going to be busy on another project for a couple of weeks.

I will get back to you on this when that is complete.

Thank you for you help.

Terry

tquinn

Postby tquinn » Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:28 pm

Swapna,

I got back from a two week trip, and used SyncBack Lite to do some work. It behaved flawlessly. Today, I had run out of evaluation time, so I purchased SyncBackLite. Because of the difficulties I had in evaluating the SyncBackLite profiles in SyncBackSE, I was never able to demonstrate that SE had any advantage over Lite for my purposes, on my system. It may have, but I just couldn't see it.
So I'm going to stop here and call it a success. I removed the trial version of SE from my computer.

Thank you for your assistance.

Terry

Return to “SyncBackSE (commercial)”