Removable media not visible

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
luas

Removable media not visible

Postby luas » Tue May 02, 2017 4:25 pm

I'm trying to sync data between a local drive and my Blackberry. After installing the device drivers, the device's local storage turns up in Windows Explorer as drive Y:. However, in Syncback, this drive is not visible.
I was wondering if this is connected to UAC. So I enabled "start with windows" in Syncback. However, even after restarting my computer, I still get an UAC prompt when opening the Syncback GUI, and drive Y: is still not visible.

Any ideas?

cliffhanger
Expert
Expert

Re: Removable media not visible

Postby cliffhanger » Wed May 03, 2017 9:09 am

I'm not familiar with Blackberries, but this smells like it might be to do with the way the drive (BB storage) is mounted as a drive letter, versus programs running with 'elevated privileges' (which SE/Pro ask for by default in order to provide advertised functionality, for example locked-file copying).

Check out this article and try the registry change mentioned. I can confirm the issue is still relevant to Windows 10 when testing against a mapped network drive created for test purposes ('drive not visible' at outset) and the registry tweak fix still works for me . Note that you must restart your PC after the registry edit (adding or removing the DWORD) to reset the behavior one way or the other.

Of course you could try the manifest trick mentioned instead of the registry edit, but you might find loss of elevated privileges too irksome. The registry edit keeps those privileges, and is easy to reverse if it doesn't help (in which case I'm out of ideas, sorry). The 'use UNC path' suggestion in the article is probably not relevant to a drive letter mounted the way this is being achieved, whatever it is. Be warned also, that the mount method used (and/or the BB firmware), might not support all aspects of file transfer, such as maintaining LastModified stamps exactly, or at all.

luas

Re: Removable media not visible

Postby luas » Sat May 06, 2017 7:03 pm

The registry change did the trick, thanks!

Return to “SyncBackSE (commercial)”