Preserving "Date Created" when doing a Mirror

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
edwinn

Preserving "Date Created" when doing a Mirror

Postby edwinn » Tue Dec 27, 2016 1:07 pm

Hi, I'm a long time registered user of SyncBack SE V6.5.48 and use it every day in Win7 Pro 64.

SE is very good at copying (or mirroring) one drive to another, i.e. My Book drives, especially if you have to STOP the process and resume later.

Recently had issues with an old 500GB My Book where the old PC had "taken ownership" of all folders. I can gain access with the old PC but cannot reassign ownership in Win Xp.

To make a long story short: What's the best way (procedure or settings) to MIRROR a driver and preserve the Date Created data?

Thanks,

-Ed

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Preserving "Date Created" when doing a Mirror

Postby Swapna » Wed Dec 28, 2016 2:21 am

Hi,

Note that, SyncBackSE (by default) preserves the last modification date/time for files, but sets the Created stamp of the copied file/folders to the date/time that copy was created (Please note that it is the default behavior for Windows and our software).

However, we have a non-default options to copy the Created stamp for folders/files, which is under:

Modify profile > Expert mode > Copy/Delete > Folders > 'Copy sub-directory attributes and creation date (only when new directories are created)'

Modify profile > Expert mode > Copy/Delete > Advanced > 'Copy file creation date & times'

But these options can't be used retrospectively (to update already copied files to match Source, for example) - this option must be in force before/at the time the new copy was created (but it can't update the creation date/time stamps for already copied files).

Please read the help file for more details. With Copy/Delete settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

As you are using an outdated version of SyncBackSE, I would suggest you to check if these options are available in V6. If not, you may need to upgrade to V7 to resolve your issue.

Thank you.

edwinn

Postby edwinn » Wed Dec 28, 2016 12:44 pm

Swapna wrote:SyncBackSE (by default) preserves the last modification date/time for files, but sets the Created stamp of the copied file/folders to the date/time that copy was created.. However, we have a non-default options to copy the Created stamp for folders/files, which is under:

* Modify profile > Expert mode > Copy/Delete > Folders > 'Copy sub-directory attributes and creation date (only when new directories are created)'

* Modify profile > Expert mode > Copy/Delete > Advanced > 'Copy file creation date & times'

these options can't be used retrospectively (to update already copied files to match Source) - this option must be in force before/at the time the new copy was created.

Thanks, that just what I was looking for. Also could not find these settings (in a reasonable time) in the Help file/section.

Wish I had asked the question years ago, because MANY large photo albums were transferred using Mirror, and the image editor can no longer correctly sort and present these by Date Created. I may find a utility to CHANGE all these mirrored Dates Created to Dates Modified, and that will be close enough.

-Ed

edwinn

Postby edwinn » Thu Dec 29, 2016 12:52 pm

I've run this procedure TWICE on 500BG drives, one was an old WD My Book, and the other was an old internal 500GB IDE drive.

The DATE CREATED field is now like the original, but the DATE MODIFIED has been changed to the date and time the file was copied.

Today I see a setting in ADVANCED "Force the modification date & time to be correct" .. so that will also have to be checked?

Are there any other settings to MIRROR a drive while retaining ALL of the data and time settings? i.e. make a duplicate?

Thanks,

-Ed

p.s. yes those settings you described are in SE V6.5.48 (which I like a lot and am still learning its features)

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Fri Dec 30, 2016 3:42 am

Hi,

SyncBack (by default) tries to preserve the LastModified attribute of files, but some devices (some NAS drives, FTP servers, cloud services etc) very often refuses to store the correct date/time values and these devices instead assigns current date & time for the files copied. You can refer to the last para of this KB article for more details:

http://support.2brightsparks.com/knowledgebase/articles/215345-the-last-modification-date-and-time-are-wrong

However, you can enable the option "Force the file modification date & time to be correct" under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Advanced settings page

to try and force-set the LastModified stamp of a copy we create, but there is no guarantee all devices support it.

If the problem persists and if the last modification date/time stamps of Source and Destination are different then SyncBack might propose to copy unchanged files again and again to the destination. If this is the case then the only option is to enable Fast Backup mode (Perform a fast backup) under:

Modify > Expert > Fast Backup settings page

and never force a rescan (as explained in the above KB article).

Thank you.

edwinn

Postby edwinn » Sat Dec 31, 2016 3:32 pm

Thanks for all that, your explanations are clear to me.

Last question: The basic issue of doing this is because I took ADMIN Ownership of that drive in Xp years ago and cannot seem to "undo" it, i.e. set permissions back to EVERYONE. Every PC that it is connected to says "drive unreadable, do you want to reformat?"

Question: what's the best way for SyncBack SE 6 to MIRROR all files WITHOUT security permissions, copied to a Passport drive, then ultimately back on the same 500GB My Book after reformatting, and available to every PC and with original Create and Modify date?

I can't believe there files are locked forever to that old PC... which is being recycled soon.

Thank you so much, and I love SyncBack product.. couldn't do with out it.

-Ed

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:07 am

Hi,

what's the best way for SyncBack SE 6 to MIRROR all files WITHOUT security permissions, copied to a Passport drive, then ultimately back on the same 500GB My Book after reformatting, and available to every PC and with original Create and Modify date?

SyncBackSE by default does not copy security permissions from Source to Destination. File/folder permissions are copied only if the sub-options under:

Modify > Expert > Copy/Delete > Folders > 'Copy sub-directory and file security permissions' are enabled.

Therefore, if you do not wish to copy file/folder security permissions then ensure that the above options are disabled (or un-ticked).

Thank you.

edwinn

Postby edwinn » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:31 pm

Thanks again for the great reply.

Not to drag this out.. but I tried a full 428 GB transfer (MIRROR) to a Passport Drive, and all looks ok (I believe, still testing file, zip, and rar access). I takes a little more than 8 hours to transfer 428 GB over a USB 2.0 port.

What the issue is now, all looks good on the Passport MIRROR, except all folder "Modified" dates are today 1/1/2017 and not the original date-time stamp.

SE V6-PDF User Manual

SE_V6_User_Guide.png
SE_V6_User_Guide.png (36.1 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

So then, I have the SE V6-PDF User Manual that is 419 pages, and on pgs 162-163, in Sect 3.3.11 describing Expert Mode: Copy and Delete Settings there's a pull-down menu File copying method and I was using Std Windows File Copying.

SE6_Copy-Delete_options.png
SE6_Copy-Delete_options.png (16.56 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

Since I have an NEW 2TB Passport on order (to backup the all 4 drives on the OLD Xp computer), these exercises are a GREAT SyncBack learning experience. :)

QUESTION: (without being too repetitive) - any way to preserve the the FOLDER Create and Modify dates when mirroring?

Thanks,

-Ed

edwinn

Postby edwinn » Sun Jan 01, 2017 6:41 pm

Hi aGaiN.

Here are the FOLDERS and ADVANCED Options.

Is it ok to post these without being a troll?

SE6_Folders_options.png
SE6_Folders_options.png (18.18 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

SE6_Advanced_options.png
SE6_Advanced_options.png (30.2 KiB) Viewed 3298 times

Again thanks for the great advice, and I really like this software.. Since 2010 ! !

-Ed

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Mon Jan 02, 2017 3:11 am

Hi,

QUESTION: (without being too repetitive) - any way to preserve the the FOLDER Create and Modify dates when mirroring?

The option to set Created stamp for folders was already enabled in your profile settings, which is under:

Modify profile > Expert mode > Copy/Delete > Folders > 'Copy sub-directory attributes and creation date (only when new directories are created)'  

However, this option can't be used to update the Created stamp for already created folders on destination to match with source. It can only set the created date/time stamps for the new directories created and must be enabled before/at the time the new copy was created. 

Note that SyncBack does not support copying Last Modification date/time attribute for folders, as the last modified date/time stamp of a folder is controlled by Windows. Windows will automatically change the Last Modification date and time of a directory if any of its files or sub-directories are changed.  

Thank you.

scottmo

Postby scottmo » Sun Aug 27, 2017 5:47 am

Note that SyncBack does not support copying Last Modification date/time attribute for folders, as the last modified date/time stamp of a folder is controlled by Windows. Windows will automatically change the Last Modification date and time of a directory if any of its files or sub-directories are changed.

Hello I'm a long time user, first time poster. I've just moved across 2 rather large folders to a new drive with SyncBack that took over 10 hours. Then realised I wanted to preserve the folder date/times. I almost went to use a disk to disk image with an imaging product but looked into Microsoft's robocopy (command line) to solve this problem.

Once the folders have finished copy run this command line where c:\Audio is source and x:\Audio is destination:
robocopy c:\Audio x:\Audio /E /DCOPY:T

This will update your folder date/time with the source folders date/time. Yes this can be performed AFTER the initial copy has already been made.

Also, out of interest, if you needed to ONLY recreate the folder structure and retain their date/time stamp without copying and any files:
robocopy c:\Audio x:\Audio /E /DCOPY:T *.zzz

The *.zzz will try to copy all *.zzz files (and not find any) but STILL create the folders and retain their correct folder structure.

Return to “SyncBackSE (commercial)”