Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and CD/DVD burning

For technical support visit
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Windows 8, 8.1, 10 and CD/DVD burning

Postby mickyj » Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:25 am

SyncBackPro works as expected with Windows 8, 8.1 and 10 with one caveat: you will not be able to use the CD/DVD burning, or ISO creation, features unless you run SyncBackPro in Windows 7 compatibility mode.

We have a KB article that goes into more detail: ... rticle=481

Re: Windows 8 and CD/DVD burning

Postby DanRasch » Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:10 pm

I sent the below message to customer service before realizing there was a forum.

I use Windows 8. You mentioned in the "SyncBackPro CD-DVD Burning and Windows 8" article that you wanted to hear feedback on DVD burning and its use on a consumer level. It seems to me that DVD is still viable for backups today at the consumer level. Yes, HDDs are larger and faster, but I follow the backup motto 3-2-1 ... At least 3 backups across at least 2 different storage mediums with at least 1 off-site. The key here is the 2 different storage mediums. Due to speed and size, I assume every user's first backup is on a HDD. For 2nd and 3rd backups:

-- Same storage medium so same exposure to failure modes (bad)
-- Large capacity
-- Fastest backup speed
-- Private (unlike cloud storage)

Cloud Storage:
-- Very slow due to internet connection speed, but incremental backups improve this drastically
-- A large data push or pull could take extremely long time if user's ISP throttles after so much usage
-- A large data push or pull could exceed user's monthly data cap from their ISP
-- Not private - security risk of allowing 3rd party access to confidential data
-- Extremely convenient (can be automated)
-- More expensive than Blu-Ray/DVD

Flash memory (SD card, Micro-SD card, USB thumbdrives):
-- Least reliable backup medium

-- Too expensive for consumer level

-- Different storage medium from HDDs
-- Burner and discs are slightly cost prohibitive - more than several years' worth of DVD backups if the backup size is <= 100 GB
-- Speed and capacity is better than DVD
---- I think DVDs will be phased out by Blu-Rays for my backups in the future, but we're not there yet due to cost

-- Different storage medium from HDDs
-- Low cost
-- High prevalence of readers
-- Time spent backing up (due to slow write speed and manual disc swapping) is painful, but tolerable if the user's backup is small enough and/or infrequent enough.
---- I backup <= 100 GB only once every 90 days, so it is tolerable.

Therefore, I conclude that DVDs are still a viable backup solution, for a few more years even, due to price advantage over Blu-Ray. That said, it appears that SyncBackPro's burning problem applies to Blu-Rays and DVDs equally, since it is the burning process that requires the Windows 7 compatibility and not the destination media. Therefore, I request that SyncBackPro support disc burning for years to come, as I plan to use DVDs now and Blu-Rays in the future.

If you have differing suggestions, I would love to hear them.

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Dave Wilkins » Mon Nov 04, 2013 10:07 am

Hi, and thanks for your feedback, which has been duly added to those received previously on the subject. Other users are welcome to add their opinions ether way.

Postby jbrodak » Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:58 pm

ahh..........thats the solution..ech windows 8 is bad..need back to windows 7

Postby sambartle » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:01 pm

I have to admit that I'm a relatively new paying customer, who has used free for years..

My big problem here is the option still being in the menu on Windows 8 in SyncBackPro.. had it not been there i'd have never known about the feature and we could have all continued along happily! (I went to configure it when I saw it this morning for the first time)

Now I have seen it then yes I think it would be great to be able to burn to DVD or BluRay.

Its handy for a number of reasons not least it gives me an easy way to end up with a backup of something I can give to someone else wihtout them having access to everything else I backup.

Postby astropuppy » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:56 am

While magnetic media is great for large backups, it is suspectable to outside corruption; Magnets, extreme hot/cold, hardware failures etc. I look at CD/DVD/BlueRay as archival media. ie Once a year a burn a disk of family photo's and video.

That said unless the software is capable of spanning disks, it is worthless to me. There are many freeware applications for my needs.

I own Pro.

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”