Amazon Glacier

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
billc.lange

Re: Amazon Glacier

Postby billc.lange » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:41 am

I just wanted to follow up on my earlier post.
Originally I thought I'd want to archive directly to Glacier.
Now I'm actually thinking of going the other way which is to backup to S3 and then let amazon transfer the files to Glacier with a life cycle rule.
I did some testing with going to Glacier using S3 and thought I'd share what I've done.
I've been using SyncBack Pro to backup to S3 Standard/RRS.
After uploading the files using a SyncBack profile I added a lifecycle rule using the Amazon S3 Management Console to transfer the whole bucket to Glacier.
From my perspective, all that happens is that the storage CLASS of the files changes to "GLACIER". All the file listings are still there in my original S3 bucket but the storage is now GLACIER at the lower cost.
The result besides cost is that you cannot just copy the files out even though they show in the bucket listing.
If you want access to your files you have to initiate a "Restore" (I used the S3 Management Console) which gets a copy of the data into RSS storage where it will stay for a duration of days that you specify. It takes about 4 hours after your restore request to get access to the data.
The storage in my S3 bucket still shows GLACIER but the file properties indicate the RSS storage and the expiration date of the restore.
I found I can copy the restored data by reversing the source/destination of the SyncBack profile and specifying the same or different source as to where to place the data from the S3 bucket.
Downside is that for the number of days of the restore you will be charged for the copy of the data in RSS storage in addition to the GLACIER charges and some additional transfer charges if you restore a large percentage of your data.
At least that's my understanding from the pricing page. I haven't confirmed my personal charges as I'm using a small number of files for my testing just to test the process and I don't anticipate restoring a large portion from Glacier unless for disaster recovery. Anyway you would want to check the costs on this based on your data use plans.
I'm using SyncBack for the file transfer to/from S3 storage and the S3 management console for the life cycle and restore from Glacier functions for my S3 evaluation.
So if I go this direction I would be looking for SyncBack to implement the life cycle rule and the restore functions in addition to the supporting S3 in the backup profile.
Regards.

keithl

Postby keithl » Sun Sep 10, 2017 7:04 pm

Any updates on Glacier support?

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Mon Sep 11, 2017 12:59 am

Hi,

We have answered via your parallel support ticket.

Thank you.

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”