Feature request: Delta copying

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
highend

Post by highend » Tue Aug 31, 2010 7:48 am

SyncBack is by far the best backup and synchronisation solution on the market. Profile management is awesome.

There is only one real drawback: It's missing delta copy.

I'd like to buy the pro version (I own the standard one) just to be able to sync my files with an sftp server but as an Outlook user it's just not the way to go.

It's been a requested feature for years...

Does anyone know a different software, that is able to use VSS, Deltacopy, sftp servers (natively) and can be used in a portable environment?

Regards,
Highend

Chalcedony

Post by Chalcedony » Sun Sep 05, 2010 8:36 am

First, let me say that a few years back I looked extensively at ViceVersa and SyncBack and ended up using ViceVersa for some small advantage ViceVersa had (I can't even remember anymore what it was). I have been satisfied so far with ViceVersa very much but also followed the development of SyncBack.

ViceVersa is also lacking a delta copy feature and the guys at tgrmn have not indicated when they intend to include it.
I will have to switch to Superflexible - which I would deeply regret since I know ViceVersa and SyncBack quite well and I'd rather use one of those - if two critical features are not included in either of those soon:

1. the aforementioned Delta Copying (Block Level Copy), which superflexible calls "Partial File Updating"

2. detect if a file has been merely renamed or moved within the folder structure to avoid copying it all over again

So, guys at 2brightspark, include those features and you have a new customer!

gpzbc

Post by gpzbc » Sat Feb 26, 2011 5:00 pm

I would buy Pro if it included Delta Sync. That would put it head and shoulders above the competition.

Elina

Post by Elina » Fri Apr 08, 2011 6:05 am

Wow, 21600 views and still counting on this thread I started years ago :)

Haven't followed the development lately very closely, but I'd still like to know if this is in any development path for SE or Pro? As well as being able to run it as a service...

Dave Wilkins
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Post by Dave Wilkins » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:34 am

Neither is expected in the short term. In the long term, who knows? Both are on the ideas list, but it's a long list (we have a 'top 500' - really...)

Elina

Post by Elina » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:44 am

Dave Wilkins wrote:Neither is expected in the short term. In the long term, who knows? Both are on the ideas list, but it's a long list (we have a 'top 500' - really...)
Like several users stated in this thread, this really should be in your "TOP 3" list... :) The main reason today of course Outlook & it's pst files... it's the one file people really want to back up from their computers, and it's the one file SyncBack can't handle => have to look for other solutions

highend

Post by highend » Fri Apr 08, 2011 12:22 pm

Hey, this wish is only 7 years old (http://www.2brightsparks.com/bb/viewtopic.php?t=160) and at least it's on a top 500 list^^

Time to move on.

Sunshine88

please revise your priorities list

Post by Sunshine88 » Sat May 07, 2011 10:05 am

I wonder why you are not taking delta copying into consideration.
After having read this thread I'm almost discouraged to post to ask you to please revise your priorities list and move delta copying to the very top of your list.

I'm just wondering why you are so resistant against considering this feature? What is it that is holding you back from implementing delta copy and what are actually the top items on your list right now?

Thanks a lot for a feedback & have a good day!

dwalker59
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by dwalker59 » Sat May 14, 2011 11:33 pm

I agree 100% that delta copy should be in the top 3. Backing up PST files to SFTP is crucial. And we have some 5 GB PST files, on a small business that doesn't run an Exchange server. Backing up those 5 GB files is a real pain in the you-know-what.

While there may be a top 500 list, I vote for putting delta copy at or near the top of the list. I know it's not up to us, but perhaps 2BrightSparks could do a poll.

antarex

Re: Feature request: Delta copying

Post by antarex » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:35 pm

Still nothing about delta in the latest release 6...

I do not understand, it's clear that Syncback move to the cloud, with the support of online storages... but for online backup, delta iq the first requirement, i cannot see who could do online backup without delta...

highend

Post by highend » Wed Nov 16, 2011 9:23 pm

Take rsync or any specialized cloud sync app (Duplicity or anything else) but don't think that 2BrightSparks will ever realize that this is a must have feature (has been requested for more than 5 years...).

jsmply
Knowledgeable
Knowledgeable

Post by jsmply » Thu Nov 17, 2011 4:07 am

For local copies, it doesn't seem to be a huge concern (moving a 5 GB pst file over USB even is not that bad). However, as more applications (including Syncback) move to cloud storage, it will definitely become more of a needed feature. Most if not all of the online backup services use delta backups. Backing up several GB on a daily basis can get kind of difficult.

dwalker59
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by dwalker59 » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:57 pm

I agree with the last two comments. This is becoming more of a pain.

After being an enthusiastic proponent of SyncBack since Syncback 2000, I have been gradually moving our company backups to other methods... all of which are tedious in the Windows world. (RSync doesn't work well under Windows.)

It's a shame.

comsyte

Post by comsyte » Tue Jan 03, 2012 12:08 pm

I too have been a long time SyncBack user at home, and am currently looking into online backup solutions for the company that I work for.

I would love to use SyncBack as I know it well now, however without some kind of delta copying I really can't suggest SyncBack, because we too have several files that are very large in size that change frequently.

Would really like to see this feature added soon to what is otherwise a great file sync program

tanstaafl
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Post by tanstaafl » Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:25 pm

Disappointing that this is still not even on a realistic roadmap.

As others have pointed out, the more backups move to the cloud, the more relevant this feature becomes, and I'd argue that at this point, it is a MUST have.

The only reason we just bought 3 licenses for SyncBack Pro is because we have two offices located about 5 miles apart, connected by a private Gb fiber, so we do our own 'offsite' backups (backups for machines at one location are mirrored to the other location, which, on a private Gb link, happens really fast).