Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Using instead of traditional backup software

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
nicopolous

Using instead of traditional backup software

Post by nicopolous »

Hi. Used SyncbackPro for a long time now to help me move files around from CCTV cameras. However, I'm considering using it as a replacement for my backup software to backup user files (not operating system/partition).

Currently using software to do full (quarterly), differential (weekly) and incremental (daily) backups. The problem is that to retain the number of versions I want involves creating a lot of differential backups which is inefficient. Syncback seemly gives me much more control, but want to run my proposed usage by you experts before I take the plunge.

I would like to maintain 3x full monthly backups, have 5x versions of any changed file and backup daily:

- Create destination folder d:\backups\%MONTH%
- Run profile every day (not using fast backup - I don't mind the scan time penalty)
- Keep 5 versions

To remove old backups >3 months old, create housekeeping profile:
- Create empty folder c:\keepempty
- Mirror this to d:\backups
- Exclude files/folders created in last 3 months

Two questions:
1) Does this make sense? I'm slightly worried about using the "created date" in the housekeeping profile as I'm not sure of it's reliability
2) Am I missing important features that traditional backup software would give me?

Thanks very much!