Before posting, and to avoid disappointment, please read the following:

• This forum is not for 2BrightSparks to provide technical support. It's primarily for users to help other users. Do not expect 2BrightSparks to answer any question posted to this forum.
  • If you find a bug in any of our software, please submit a support ticket. It does not matter if you are using our freeware, a beta version or you haven't yet purchased the software. We want to know about any and all bugs so we can fix them as soon as possible. We usually need more information and details from you to reproduce bugs and that is better done via a support ticket and not this forum.

Options for skipping files that are open but not locked/in use?

For technical support visit https://support.2brightsparks.com/
ProfileX

Options for skipping files that are open but not locked/in use?

Post by ProfileX »

I have a couple apps that don't lock a file for read access when they are open, only write access. I've been running these directly from a Dropbox or OneDrive cache but occasionally the cloud sync engine will interfere with the app, I'm guessing it's because it suddenly can't write to it's open file handle because it's being synchronized to the cloud. I don't need these files to be copied immediately, in fact I'd rather run the profile every 15 minutes or so and just silently fail if the file is in use.

What are some options for skipping files that are open but not locked/in use?
- I've been copying the source file from the volume shadow snapshot, but I haven't been running it long enough to decide if this is the best option.
- I've tried setting the profile to ignore files that have been modified within the last XX minutes but I've still had problems, sometimes the app won't write to the file for a long time (like I'm at lunch and didn't close the app).
- I suppose I could run a custom script before the profile, and use something like handle.exe from sysinternals to check for the file being open.
- I've experimented with removing the Archive attribute on the source but that didn't seem to help.
- I could move these files to a separate folder & create a special profile but I'd rather not if there's another option.
ProfileX

Re: Options for skipping files that are open but not locked/in use?

Post by ProfileX »

Bump :)
I can't get this to behave the way I want, I think I'll open a support ticket.