Feature Request: Grey out file versioning depending on profile type

For technical support visit http://support.2brightsparks.com/
mgutt
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Feature Request: Grey out file versioning depending on profile type

Postby mgutt » Mon Nov 13, 2017 1:14 pm

I can enable local file versioning (expert mode), but I selected the "Backup local to FTP" so it does not make sense to display this setting. I think it should be greyed out with an info that these setting is not compatible with the selected profile type.

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Re: Feature Request: Grey out file versioning depending on profile type

Postby Swapna » Tue Nov 14, 2017 1:56 am

Hi,

Versioning is not supported only when your destination is a single-zip file or an email server (this is due to technical reasons). For the other standard or non-standard resources in SyncBackPro (e.g. FTP, cloud, SyncBack Touch, internal/external/network drives etc.,) Versioning is supported, hence that option is not greyed out. Please read the help file for more details. With Versioning settings page opened, press F1 to open the contextual help.

Thank you.

mgutt
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby mgutt » Wed Nov 15, 2017 6:10 pm

I meant explicit "local". If I sync only to the external target a local versioning does not work as nothing is written locally (as far as I understand this mode).

Swapna
2BrightSparks Staff
2BrightSparks Staff

Postby Swapna » Thu Nov 16, 2017 3:55 am

Hi,

Are you referring to Versioning on Source side with a default Backup/Mirror Right profile?

If so, it’s available to support versioning when the profile is run in a restore mode. In a restore mode, SyncBack copies files from destination to source, and if Versioning is enabled on source, SyncBack creates a version of a source file before it is replaced with a destination file (and stores it in a hidden $SBV$ folder within the scope of the source). In case, your source file is corrupted (or replaced with a wrong file) then you can easily rollback/restore your file from the version files, hence this option is available on both source and destination.

Thank you.

mgutt
Enthusiastic
Enthusiastic

Postby mgutt » Thu Nov 16, 2017 7:13 am

Swapna wrote:In a restore mode, SyncBack copies files from destination to source, and if Versioning is enabled on source, SyncBack creates a version of a source file before it is replaced with a destination file

Ah ok. Thank you!

Return to “SyncBackPro (commercial)”